Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > General Discussion (Off-Topic) > Star Trek or Star Wars? (1, 2, ... 7, 8)

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Saga_Morphling

Quote: I do unto others as others have done unto me.

Question Star Trek or Star Wars? 6/26/2004 7:37:26 AM

This is an ongoing thing between a friend and I, so we thought we'd bring it here. The fundamental question here is:

Which is cooler: Star Trek, or Star Wars?

We compared things like:

1. Top 5 Most Dynamic Characters in Star Trek(according to him):
Star Trek: James Kirk, Jean Luc Picard, Data, Spock, Dr. McCoy

In Star Wars (according to me): Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Yoda, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi

Most Recognized Weapons:
Star Trek: Phasers, Battleth Blade
Star Wars: Lightsaber, Blaster

Coolest Ship:
Star Trek: The Defiant (DS9)
Star Wars: The Millenium Falcon

Most Recognizable Villains:
Star Trek: Q
Star Wars: Darth Vader

Propulsion:
Star Trek: Warp Speed
Star Wars: Lightspeed

Best Space Station:
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Wars: The Death Star

Small Craft:
Star Trek: The Runabout
Star Wars: The X-Wing

Misc. Cool Thing:
Star Trek: The "Lt. Redshirt" rule
(Referring to how the Lt. in the red shirt is always the first to die on an away team in the original series)
Star Wars: The Jedi Mind Trick

PS: I didn't mention cloaking because both ST and SW have it. (In "Empire Strikes Back" a cloaking device is mentioned.)

So anyway, what does the general populace of EM think is cooler, Star Trek, or Star Wars? (IF you can think of other criteria we should have added for comparison, feel free to tell us.)

Thanks

Saga

(PPS: Yes we know it's a nerdy a$$ debate. Just help us, please, without any snide remarks.)

"Eschew Obfuscation"

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Futhark

Quote: [none]

Angry inquest style. 6/26/2004 7:59:01 AM

Top 5 Most Dynamic Characters in Star Trek:
Star Trek: James Kirk*, Jean Luc Picard, Data, Spock*, Dr. McCoy
In Star Wars: Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader*, Yoda*, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi

Most Recognized Weapons:
Star Trek: Phasers, Battleth Blade
Star Wars: Lightsaber, Blaster
Edge: Starwars, c'mon lightsaber

Coolest Ship:
Star Trek: The Defiant (DS9)
Star Wars: The Millenium Falcon
Edge: Starwars, nobody watches DS9

Most Recognizable Villains:
Star Trek: Q
Star Wars: Darth Vader
Edge: Star Trek, Q, id rather be Q than vadar. vadar is dead q is not.

Propulsion:
Star Trek: Warp Speed
Edge: Star trek, warp speed of 1 = lightspeed.

Best Space Station:
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Wars: The Death Star
Edge: Starwars, Deathstar, think about it

Small Craft:
Star Trek: The Runabout
Edge: Star Wars: whats a runabout

Misc. Cool Thing:
Star Trek: The "Lt. Redshirt" rule
(Referring to how the Lt. in the red shirt is always the first to die on an away team in the original series)
Star Wars: The Jedi Mind Trick
Edge: c'mon thats really not fair! comedy edge goes to star trek

Talley:
Star Trek: 3
Star Wars: 4

in coolness not everything i scovered for star trek like cristalis or borg or whatever it needs more broadning. but for the post so far i regret saying star wars is better. so pose up. i beg of you. see told ya id explain it

I Am Immortal. How Do I Know You Ask? Because I am Still Alive!

Nytejade

Quote: [none]

Random Comment 6/26/2004 8:13:22 AM

Star Wars is better overall..
Star Trek always seemed kinda boring to me.

repyscho

Quote: You must be sooooo cute as a were-squirrel. - Chrome Angel to B-otch.

What do you call a congregation of fascists???

The Republican National Convention? - Heretic

Random Comment 6/26/2004 10:12:17 AM

Um, AT-ATs and Ewoks anyone? Star Trek gets blown out of the water simply by those two.

(\ _ /}
(='.'=)
(")_(")

darkrage

Quote: Seek balance in all things, as long as the scales are weighted in your favor.
- Master wizard.

Random Comment 6/26/2004 10:41:16 AM

Well, I am a very big Star Wars fan, but I must admit I never ever saw a complete edition or movie from Star Trek. I have the impression Star Trek is much more humor-based than Star Wars, that's the point. I like the seriousness of Star Wars, every time I watch the movies it makes my flesh creep. You have the Jedi order, the Great Council, the sage Jedi masters.
The music from John Williams is wonderful too.

My vote definitly goes to Star Wars.

Saga_Morphling

Random Comment 6/26/2004 11:45:25 AM

I will say in Star Trek's behalf that it's not like a comedic Sci-Fi show. It's serious, but just has a sort of humor among the crew(s) that comes from a camaraderie. It doesn't occur as often as some of these posts imply.

I'm a Star Wars fan, but I don't hate Star Trek.
I will admit that Star Wars has far less humor in it than Star Trek, but that's still not saying much considering that there isn't much humor in it to start with...except for the holodeck episodes, those usually had humor interjected.

"Eschew Obfuscation"

immakiku
ModeratorGuruBug Hunter

Quote: "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Random Comment 6/26/2004 2:16:17 PM

Yoda, Darth, and Obi-wan weren't all that dynamic at all. If we're talking about the Star Wars galaxy and not just the movies, then there are plenty of characters from books that beat them.

Propulsion

More like engine... Lightspeed is a speed Happy It's "hyperdrive" to travel through "hyperspace".

Small Craft:

X-Wing wasn't the smallest of crafts nor was it the best. I'd have to disagree and name TIE-fighters for this one.

Yea. I like Star Wars more, though I've watched only about half an episode of Star Trek.

Saga_Morphling

Random Comment 6/26/2004 4:35:18 PM

I was talking more in terms of the movies/tv shows, not the realm/galaxies themselves.

In the Star Wars Galaxy, Admiral Thrawn definetly stands out.

How can you say Darth Vader is not dynamic? Of all the original Star Wars movies, he had the absolute best lines and could do some of the coolest things. The first time he and Luke had a lightsaber duel, he did it with ONE HAND. That and you got to love the whole choking you by making the pinching motion with his hand.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
"Once, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."
"Aplogy accepted, Captain Needa."
"*I* am your father."

In A New Hope, Obi-Wan was one of the cooler characters..

"Of course I know him, he's me!"
And nothing beats the coolness of the scene in Mos Eisley when Luke and Obi-Wan are confronted by the Stormtroopers with 3P-O and R2:
"These aren't the droids you're looking for..."

Except maybe for when he cuts off that dude's hairy arm with his lightsaber in the mos eisley bar.

Luke wouldn't know what he knew without Yoda. In the original trilogy, he may not have been all that active, but his lines rivaled Vader's...
"Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?"
"For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
"When 900 years old you reach, look so good you will not."

The X-Wing may not have been the BEST small craft, but it was definetly the coolest looking. TIE fighters may have been more effective, but ultimately, were on the losing side of their fight.

"Eschew Obfuscation"

Stemp123

Quote: "If you need something to worship, then worship life-all life, every last crawling bit of it! We're all in this beauty together!"
-Paul Maud'dib Atreides

"Stempalempadingdong!"
-SodaGuy

"In Soviet greenmaster russia is SHUT THE F*CK UP!"
-Heretic

Random Comment 6/26/2004 4:35:27 PM

Stars Wars always had that dark feel to it. Star Trek had the flashy feel to it that so many sci-fi movies had in that time. Thats one of the main reasons that I loved Wars over Trek.

That, and;

Wookies > Clingons(sp)

Chrome Angel

Quote: "Clean gloves hide dirty hands."

"I have found the cure for hope."

"Pain is the cleanser."

~Hate~ "Nine Inch Nails sole reason for being, is so that Trent Reznor could write hurt, for Johnny Cash to do a cover of."

"Do you want to be free or do you want to be right?"

Random Comment 6/26/2004 4:36:50 PM

Stars Wars always had that dark feel to it. Star Trek had the flashy feel to it that so many sci-fi movies had in that time.

@ Stemp:
What exactly do you mean? Star Trek has been spanning several Decades. What "movies at the time" are you referring to?
If you want a "Dark Feel" you should watch the last 4 seasons of DS9. It's still "Trek" but things get complicated and lots of shady things go on.

I think the two are becoming similar enough where it would be unfair to pit them against each other.

Star Trek was:
A very politically oriented, and regimented "universe," with lots of commerce and economics.

It's becoming more like Star Wars in that:
It lost a lot of touchy-feely, unrealistic innocence with the introduction of DS9; Massive interstellar battles, a "Cantina" like atmosphere on the station, the introduction of Black Organizations within the federation, officers running their own agendas, shady alliances, crooked politicians, and so forth. Trek also introduced more spirituality with the appearance of the Bajoran race.
The Galaxy in Trek has also become a bit more chaotic in that we are seeing more of what life is like outside The Federation and it's nieghboring empires, and it's more jumbled. People pirating one another, stealing from empires and The Federation, assassinations, and more...

Star Wars was:
A "universe" where the the Empire was the only major political/fascist influence. Everyone else was either running from them, or accepted their lives within the Empire. Star Wars was about the individual characters, and far less about what was going on in the political spectrum outside the Rebellion and the Empire.

It's becoming more like Trek in that:
There are many larger political influences. There is a Council where various races discuss universal issues. Several other races (instead of just individuals from a race) are being brought into the events with or without their concent, where before it was just Ewoks and Mon Calamari. The movies are introducing "detective work" as a plot-engine like Trek often does, where previously they simply would use a screen-dissolve and one would see the next segment of the story.

However, since we are seeing the Prequels after the fact, it makes sense to say that the Star Wars universe used to be more like the Trek universe, and that it became disorganized. Yet that can only be argued on behalf of the storyline. The real question is: Are the writers and production staff of Star Wars "Trekking up" the movies because of the the story, or because they were inspired and influenced by Trek?

Besides all that...How could so many of you forget to mention the friggin' Death Star as a "recognizable weapon?"

Heretic

Quote: Take me for one last ride

I'm out of my head

Random Comment 6/26/2004 5:10:05 PM

Wars > Trek...even if the former 'borrowed' alot of stuff from "Dune"

Besides, the future in Star Trek is far to perfect...

AIM:Sevendust253

immakiku
ModeratorGuruBug Hunter

-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Random Comment 6/26/2004 5:12:45 PM

How could so many of you forget to mention the friggin' Death Star as a "recognizable weapon?"

We didn't forget: it's not a reconizable weapon. It'd be a sphere with a crater in it (can be anything...). The lightsaber is much more familiar.

Necro_Minion44

Quote: "Now to breath of life my Phage!"
- one of those newbies I was talking about in my siggie

Random Comment 6/26/2004 5:14:24 PM

well you're right except for one thing, CHEWEY IS THE COOLEST CHARACTER!

Tonight my army, you shall feast on the souls of various newbies who think they reign supreme.
- Necromancer keying up his zombie army for friday night magic

immakiku
ModeratorGuruBug Hunter

-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nah-uh 6/26/2004 5:15:42 PM

Vader > Chewy. We see furry creatures everyday, but how often do we a half-machine Jedi clothed in armor designed to terrorize? That's right...

Chrome Angel

Quote: "Clean gloves hide dirty hands."

"I have found the cure for hope."

"Pain is the cleanser."

~Hate~ "Nine Inch Nails sole reason for being, is so that Trent Reznor could write hurt, for Johnny Cash to do a cover of."

"Do you want to be free or do you want to be right?"

Random Comment 6/26/2004 5:18:31 PM

PS: I didn't mention cloaking because both ST and SW have it. (In "Empire Strikes Back" a cloaking device is mentioned.)

For all we know, the one mentioned in Empire Strikes Back was only referring to Sensory Cloaking. Some modern-day militarys have "cloaking technology" in that regards.
Empire Strikes Back suggests "No ship that small has a Cloaking Device" where something as small as a Mine can be perfectly cloaked in Trek. The ones in Star Trek cloak EVEN TO THE NAKED EYE.

113 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades