Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > General Discussion (Off-Topic) > Star Trek or Star Wars? (1, 2, ... 7, 8)

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Xenos

Quote: I'll give you something to cry about.

Random Comment 6/26/2004 5:26:12 PM

If you think that Q is a villian then you don't understand Star Trek.

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Chrome Angel

Quote: "Clean gloves hide dirty hands."

"I have found the cure for hope."

"Pain is the cleanser."

~Hate~ "Nine Inch Nails sole reason for being, is so that Trent Reznor could write hurt, for Johnny Cash to do a cover of."

"Do you want to be free or do you want to be right?"

Random Comment 6/26/2004 5:31:58 PM

I agree with that.

Saga_Morphling

Quote: I do unto others as others have done unto me.

Random Comment 6/26/2004 7:13:24 PM

Well, Q is kind of a villain. He messed with Picard all the time just to do it, and he's brash about it. Like, "Im messing with you for the heck of it, and how do you like that?"

Yes, the smallest things can be cloaked, even to the naked eye in Star Trek. That never appealed to me, I figure, realistically, something would have to be far larger than a coin or something, mine, whatever, to have a device that makes it invisible.

I love all these opinions. This is what a great forum looks like.

PS: As far as Q goes, name another villain in Star Trek that stands up to Vader or Palpatine. Most every bad guy in Star Trek is easily forgettable, (in the movies anyway, the tv shows had some mainstay evil guys) and even the ones that are rememberable, would be a red spot on the wall quickly, in a room alone with Vader or Palpatine.

"Eschew Obfuscation"

Chrome Angel

"Pain is the cleanser."

~Hate~ "Nine Inch Nails sole reason for being, is so that Trent Reznor could write hurt, for Johnny Cash to do a cover of."

Random Comment 6/26/2004 9:23:05 PM

One word: KAAAAHHHNNN!!!

Kai Briggs

Quote: Sir Briggs
Knight of [dish soap]
Destroyer of Worlds

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
- Revelation 21:4

Random Comment 6/26/2004 9:37:50 PM

Well there is always the Borg Queen, she wasn't very nice at all. I only cared for TNG and Voyager. I really enjoyed the introduction of Species 8479. However, I still prefer Starwars over Star Trek. So, in conclusion.
Boba Fett > Spock

The Greatest and Best Combo in the World

repyscho

Quote: You must be sooooo cute as a were-squirrel. - Chrome Angel to B-otch.

What do you call a congregation of fascists???

The Republican National Convention? - Heretic

Random Comment 6/27/2004 8:28:17 AM

Hey, I liked DS9!

Generations was all too predicatable. There's never the "humanitarian mission that goes according to plan" episode. LOL.

Um, a Lambda Shuttle could be cloaked, and those are relatively small.

X-Wing OWNS the runabout.

As for cloaking, SW HAD cloaking tech that made ships invisible to the naked eye. Star Trek was just too dumb to come up with a sensor that detected graviation fluncations, thus rendering any cloaking technology useless. SW had it, but it was just rare and expensive.

(\ _ /}
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Chrome Angel

"Pain is the cleanser."

Random Comment 6/27/2004 4:51:47 PM

Star Trek was just too dumb to come up with a sensor that detected graviation fluncations

What's a "grav-ia-tion flunk-ation?"
We are talking about completely fictional elements here, so the only referrence we have to go on would be other technology demonstrated in the same fictional setting.
I have never heard the words "Gravitational Fluctuations" in Star Wars. I have heard those buzz-words in Trek.
It could also just as easily be said that, like any technology, the Cloak was constantly being developed to evade forms of sensors, and not that they were too dubm to come up with a way of detecting them. In fact, I remember several episodes of various trek series where they spent a great deal of time trying to detect a cloaked ship. If it was so easy to detect, then why did they have to try so hard?
What of all the episodes where you heard a conversation about a Cloaking Device being modified?
What of the "Phasing Cloak?"

Strider

Quote: eM's resident holier-than-thou purveyor of righteous fury since 2002.

Random Comment 6/27/2004 5:01:42 PM

In a battle? Star Wars, for sure.

The Enterprise against a Mon Cal Cruiser or Star Destroyer would be no contest. Whereas the Enterprise would fire two or three phaser bursts at a time, an Imperial class SD has somewhere around 60 turbolasers (correct me if I'm wrong), of which 30 or so could be brought to bear at once.

And even if the capital ships couldn't destroy the Enterprise, the fighter screens would be more than enough. The Enterprise has no fighter defense, leaving them open to massive proton torpedo salvos that could cripple it anyway.

Chrome Angel

"Pain is the cleanser."

Random Comment 6/27/2004 5:09:33 PM

The Enterprise has no fighter defense,

Of course it does not. It's a ship of exploration, not a military vessel.

If you're going to compare the two, why not make it reasonable. Why pit Mike Tyson against Sugar Ray Leonard?

Give the enterprise a fleet of Federation Fighter Craft, and reduce a Star Destroyer to a ship comparable in size.

Yes... I admit, I prefer Trek, but with good reason:
I have never watched an episode of Trek and thought "This is so f*cking dumb, it does not even belong in the Star Trek franchise." I have thought, "God, I hate this episode/movie, but it's quirks do sadly fit in with the franchise."
Sure, trek has had some bad times, but it's all within the realm of Trek.

Out of 5 Star Wars movies, I have seen 3 (Ep. I, Ep. II, Jedi: Deluxe) in which many times throughout the movie, I have said to myself "This is so f*cking lame, the production crew need to be shot! Is this a f*cking episode of Sesame Street!? This sh!t does not even fit into the Star Wars franchise as the same creation it originally was!"

I think Trek has a better track record of remaining true to it's origins and therefore itself.

Come on people! Don't tell me you were "happy" with SW Episodes I & II. Don't lie.

BlackDragon1200

Quote: Fear is the mind killer...

Farscape 6/27/2004 5:10:12 PM

At the risk of being unpopular i would have to say that in my opinion Farscape is better than both of them. I would argue this point but it's 2.00am and i'm feeling tired.

http://www.scifi.com/farscape/

immakiku
ModeratorGuruBug Hunter

Quote: "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Random Comment 6/27/2004 5:30:49 PM

Give the enterprise a fleet of Federation Fighter Craft, and reduce a Star Destroyer to a ship comparable in size.

Since you want to use an analogy, that's like me entering into a boxing tournament against Mike Tyson and asking him to cut off his limbs. The fact is, Star Destroyers are more or less the standard flagship-sized ship in a fleet. You can't change how a fleet acts and then compare it.

darkrage

Quote: Seek balance in all things, as long as the scales are weighted in your favor.
- Master wizard.

Random Comment 6/27/2004 5:53:04 PM

@Chrome Angel:well, I have to say that I wasn't very pleased by episode I and II, because you hadn't the same feeling then the one you had with a new hope, the empire strikes back or the return of the jedi.
I was mainly disappointed because I had seen the First 3 ones and episode I and II didn't meet the same level as the 3 others (time considered), they seemed more like a big special effect commercial people seeking production.
Episode I with the young Anakin and Jar-Jar Binks disappointed me most, although it was precisely That episode that people who didn't see the other episodes appreciates most of I and II. The reason why it was so disappointing was IMO the too childy atmosphere going out of it (stupid Jar-Jar Binks, Anakin, a boy with a pod racer, why not...).
I liked the second one much more because at least there was some story, I mean, the "turning to evil" from Anakin, what was really good rendered IMO.
There's gonna happen a lot of things in episode III: Anakin's final turn to the dark side, his black suit, Birth of Luke and Leya, Dissolution of the Jedi order, etc...
I'm exspecting it...
And I hope it will be Art>Money

@Blackdragon: I don't even know Farscape, maybe it wasn't imported in Europe.

Kingvegita

Quote: "Thank you for not stabbing me!"

Random Comment 6/27/2004 6:10:50 PM

Simply because of how awful Episode II was, I'd have to go with Star Trek for the moment. Star Trek, in my opinion, houses better ideas and plots than Star Wars. And though quality is more important that quantity, it is a valid point that Star Trek is much longer, more epic, and more fast-paced.

AIM-Almikeco Email-Almikeco@aol.com MSNM-almikeco@aol.com

Lips845

Quote: If you want to come in second, follow me.

Random Comment 6/27/2004 6:14:57 PM

Star Wars OWNS star trek...mainly bc star trek sux balls

darkrage

Quote: Seek balance in all things, as long as the scales are weighted in your favor.
- Master wizard.

Random Comment 6/27/2004 6:29:21 PM

You can't say that...

113 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades