Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > General Discussion (Off-Topic) > Star Trek or Star Wars? (1, 2, ... 7, 8)

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
repyscho

Quote: You must be sooooo cute as a were-squirrel. - Chrome Angel to B-otch.

What do you call a congregation of fascists???

The Republican National Convention? - Heretic

Random Comment 7/4/2004 2:51:42 AM

UNIFizadums: last time I checked, nothing can surive a supernova. Not to mention being repetively slammed aganist a wall or another ship.

*force grip*
*slams borg ships together until they blow up*
*giggles like a school girl*

(\ _ /}
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

UNIFizadums

Quote: [none]

Random Comment 7/4/2004 4:43:28 AM

The Genesis weapon is always nice. That and the Q-continum. Nothing can beat a Q. (thats right, A "Q". there are more than one of them.). The force has nothing on Q, any of them.
SNAP!

"the opinions expressed in this post do not necissarily reflect the opinions of anybody cool. Except me. I'm cool."

immakiku
ModeratorGuruBug Hunter

Quote: "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Random Comment 7/4/2004 4:47:59 AM

Force grips aren't that powerful. The best that most Jedi can control stably and with enough force would probably be torpedoes and missles.

Chrome Angel

Quote: "Clean gloves hide dirty hands."

"I have found the cure for hope."

"Pain is the cleanser."

~Hate~ "Nine Inch Nails sole reason for being, is so that Trent Reznor could write hurt, for Johnny Cash to do a cover of."

"Do you want to be free or do you want to be right?"

Random Comment 7/4/2004 6:16:19 AM

Didn't luke go nuts and use the force to crush some ATAT's in Shadows of the Empire?

Elfie

Quote: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

- Edmund Burke

Random Comment 7/4/2004 7:09:59 AM

I prefer Trek, just because I find it fascinating. I mean, the things in Star Wars are cool, but you can tell that it's just Sci-Fi. Watching Trek (discounting the original), one would actually think that they designed these things first and then stuck to the schematics. Now I know these things are impossible, but Trek does a far better job of convincing me that they aren't, in my opinion. As for the future being too perfect, I don't know. Perhaps it's just the optimist in me that wants things turn out that way, but I think it could happen. To be honest with you though, I only really like Voyager, TNG and some of Enterprise. Occaisionally I'll watch DS9, but not often. As for the first one, meh. I'm fascinated by the realistic detail that goes into thinking up Trek episodes, and that's not there in the first one.

If I had a signature, I'd probably put it right about here. In fact, it would probably say something very similar to what I have written. I don't though, I just manually add this to the end of all my posts.

repyscho

Quote: You must be sooooo cute as a were-squirrel. - Chrome Angel to B-otch.

What do you call a congregation of fascists???

The Republican National Convention? - Heretic

Random Comment 7/4/2004 9:29:53 AM

Chrome Angel: Probably

I know luke was able to use the force to destroy a mountain in one of the books. That's bad@ss.

(\ _ /}
(='.'=)
(")_(")

immakiku
ModeratorGuruBug Hunter

Quote: "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Random Comment 7/4/2004 3:56:49 PM

Which book is this? He's supposed to be pretty weak (for a Jedi Master).

Chrome Angel

"Pain is the cleanser."

~Hate~ "Nine Inch Nails sole reason for being, is so that Trent Reznor could write hurt, for Johnny Cash to do a cover of."

Random Comment 7/4/2004 5:30:08 PM

Now I know these things are impossible, but Trek does a far better job of convincing me that they aren't, in my opinion.

Not totally impossible.
There are many technical mechanics of Trek that are based on current theories and technologies.
Some are more fiction than others, but that modern working theories are used in a lot of Trek, goes far to compliment the writers. We just can't create the technology yet.

Otherwise yeah, Elfie. You summed it up pretty well.
If you want to believe and buy into what you see, and see a possible future, than Trek if for you.
Trek is, in some ways, a study of how our lives will become.

If you want to see sh!t blow up, and things that look cool, without having to think about any of it, than Wars if for you.

That's probably why I hate movies like Mission Impossible, Blade, and Triple-X, and prefer movies more like Ronin, and uh... well. Sadly, Hollywood has a staggering low supply of good movies that are believable and interesting. I'll let you know if I think of more.

darkrage

Quote: Seek balance in all things, as long as the scales are weighted in your favor.
- Master wizard.

Random Comment 7/4/2004 7:32:25 PM

I suppose you weren't fan of "the day after tomorrow", Chrome Angel ;-)

Chrome Angel

"Pain is the cleanser."

Random Comment 7/4/2004 7:46:47 PM

You would be correct.

Shremgoff

Quote: What about second breakfast?
-Peregrin Took

Random Comment 7/4/2004 8:24:12 PM

STAR WARS!

in star trek everything is new and shiny, but in the star wars galaxy, a lot of stuff is run down, warn out, and its like a sci fi western. It seems deeper and more realistic to me. Oh yeah, Star Wars kicks a$$, and Star Trek blows.

Chrome Angel

"Pain is the cleanser."

Random Comment 7/4/2004 8:35:33 PM

in star trek everything is new and shiny,

Then you obviously don't know enough about Trek to make an informed opinion.

Just like in the Empire, and even today's military complexes, the only things that are always "shiny and new" are those that are in the Federation.

There is plenty of detritus outside the Federation. You also have to consider that Trek was trying to create a world where all the human races lived in harmony. Poverty, racism, social class-wars, have all been eliminated for the betterment of humanity. The exploration of space and the expansion of knowledge is what propels mankind and the Federation.

It's funny that you think Star Wars, the franchise whose entertainment value relies on the audience to consume everything at face value, is more realistic.

UNIFizadums

Quote: [none]

Random Comment 7/4/2004 11:06:04 PM

Agreed, Angel.
Trek is all about a society that I believe can exist, and it is explained how this is accomplished by the aftermath of a WW3, encounters with the Vulcans to help humanity along, and humans coming together with aliens eager for allies, and befreinding some that were potentially hostile. This is a place that could become a realtiy (minus a few technologies, like transporters, and a few medical devices). That is why I was intrigued by Trek so much, myself.

And Wars still has no answer to the "Q". And even if a jedi could "force grip" and entire cube, it would take time to build up the momentum required for the jedi to get two cubes to collide, all this time, the Cubes would be blasting away with weapons of all shapes and sizes.

"the opinions expressed in this post do not necissarily reflect the opinions of anybody cool. Except me. I'm cool."

Chrome Angel

"Pain is the cleanser."

Random Comment 7/4/2004 11:48:24 PM

minus a few technologies, like transporters, and a few medical devices

Actually, that stuff's already in the works.
A few years ago, in a remarkable experiement, IBM sucessfuly transported a Neutron through time and space.

The experiement relied not on the natural momentum of the neutron, but rather the ability to single out a subatomic particle, and move it in a controlled method from one place to another.

Perhaps it's only a matter of time before single-celled organisms are transported.

Also, 2 years ago, an experiment was conducted at Princeton University, where they were able to fire a LASER faster than the speed of light. FASTER THAN LIGHT!
The experiment caused a phenomenon that made the laser appear to travel backwards. Using ultra high-speed digital cameras, the beam appeared to move from target to lens.

Technology is amazing. Who knows what will be made in the future.
The technology I'm the most skeptical about, is a fuel source that allows enough power and manipulation of time-space, with NO hazardous waste or byproduct.

Saga_Morphling

Quote: I do unto others as others have done unto me.

Random Comment 7/7/2004 2:51:39 AM

@ Chrome:

From your response to Elfie, it seems as if anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong, according to you. The "you summed it up pretty well" comment works so well because Elfie went in the direction of Star Trek. But anyone going towards Star Wars..and you have a ton of things to say about how wrong they are. Can't someone have an opinion? I understand you may not agree, but this thread was just supposed to be about people's opinions of which they thought was COOLER. Star Wars or Star Trek.

Yeah, I realize that Star Trek has this and Star Wars has that, and blah blah. I meant cooler in it's base state. In other words, Darth Vader's theme from The Empire Strikes back is cooler and more evil sounding than something comparitively similar from Star Trek, IN MY OPINION. My friend Jeff and I just wanted to see who thought what, not start a friggin' flame war.

"Eschew Obfuscation"

113 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades