Site Maintenance Warning
We are currently wrapping up the loading process for new sets please do not edit/add to collections or decks. ETA 7/23-26

Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Trading Forum > Trading FAQs

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Grimmer
ModeratorGuruStaff Member

Quote: "Stop being little girls and learn to suck up to the mods like normal people!" --Shinta Kenshin

Question Trading FAQs 4/22/2005 3:03:19 PM

FAQ Contents

Basics for Beginners

Trading Etiquitte

International Trading

Mail Fraud

Condition Guide

Trading Tips

Other Links

Good Trader List

Bad Trader/Ripper List

Ripper Primer

I killed your cat! Why?! I thought it would bring closure to our relationship!

2HG Champs 2006 | 2007

Grimmer

Quote: "Stop being little girls and learn to suck up to the mods like normal people!" --Shinta Kenshin

Question Basic Trading 4/22/2005 3:37:55 PM

The following is meant as a FAQ section for those who are new to the eM trading forum. It is based of Yavimaniac's old FAQ webpage. If something was missed that you feel really needs to be in here, or if there is some silly/horrible mistake in this document, please let us know!

How do you trade cards over the internet?

Is it safe to trade over the internet?

So how do I get started? (Creating a thread.)

I am not in North America. Can I trade?

What the heck is M/NM/EX/VG/G/P?

Why do some people have a list of names after all of their posts?

How do I check references? Isn't there an easier way to list/check references or find the reference email addresses?

Neither of us have refs. How can we trade?

What's a third-party trade?

That's it, right?

========================================================

Q. How do you trade cards over the internet?

A. In general, people agree to a trade, and then send each other the cards. This is the most basic case.

back | top

Q. Is it safe to trade over the internet?

A. Note that trading over the 'net is not without risk -- but if you're careful about who you trade with, you should be just fine. Try trading with people who are always in the forum (over, say, several weeks), or that someone in the forum has traded with before.

The best way to find good people to trade with is to use the eM forum's good/bad traders list. It is maintained by grimmer, and you should be able to find it find it in the forum without much difficulty since it's always at the top. The rules for getting onto the list yourself are described in the list thread. Alternatively, you can ask me via AIM if I'm on.

Also, a lot of people devise general rules for their trades as an added precaution that they post at the beginning of their trade thread. REMEMBER, ALWAYS BE CRYSTAL-CLEAR ON ALL DETAILS BEFORE YOU SEND ANYTHING OUT!

back | top

Q. So how do I get started? (Creating a thread.)

A. First, have a look around the trading forum to get a feel on how things in there are done. Once you're fairly sure you've gotten the idea, you'll want to create your own thread.

The thread will be your temporary "home" in the eM trading forum. Inside, you should have a list of your "haves" (cards that you have and are willing to trade) and your "wants" (cards that you would like to acquire). Be sure to do this! It becomes very difficult to trade with someone who won't tell you what they have/want. The more you can list, the better. Additionally, any terms and/or conditions should be listed here, for example, statements such as:

"I will only trade for Mint/Near-Mint condition cards." or,
"I am willing to trade for Gold-Bordered CE cards." or,
"I only want cash for my cards." etc.

would belong in your thread.

If you are outside of North America, your thread should also state your country so that other traders can estimate shipping costs when deciding whether or not to trade with you.

back | top

Q. I am not in North America. Can I trade?

A. If you are not in North America, you should read the FAQ for International Traders located here.

back | top

Q. What the heck is M/NM/EX/VG/G/P?

A. These are general classifications for rating and describing the condition of your cards. They are used so that you can let other traders know just how perfect (or beaten-up) your cards are. A general description of each of these ratings is given here.

back | top

Q. Why do some people have a list of names after all of their posts?

A. At the end of our posts, many of us list the names of those users who are willing to provide a reference stating that we have successfully traded with them.

In addition to the fact that this makes it easy for traders to have an idea of how many people we've traded with, it also allows them to easily check our references. And perhaps just as importantly, this also helps to show people that we are serious traders. That way, they don't have to worry about us being the kind of people who will make stupid offers, or agree on a trade and then back out unreliably at the last minute. It also helps to convince people that we are not going to rip them off.

The advantage of all this is, of course, that people dealing with us can worry less about reliability and security issues, and can concentrate on what really matters most: trading Magic cards!

back | top

Q. How do I check references? Isn't there an easier way to list/check references or findthe reference email addresses?

A. Sometimes other users will send you reference information that consists only of a list of usernames to contact. However, you need email addresses. What's the standard protocol? Do you ask the person being referred? Is it possible for eM to host user reference lists, perhaps with hot links to user email addys?

Actually, what you CAN do is link directly to the user profiles of your references. To see what i mean, have a look at the top of the first post of my thread. See my refs in blue? Those will take you to my referrers' user profiles, where email addys are shown for those who allowed their emails to be publicly viewable.

Of course, most people just give a list of names after their posts, rather than a list of names with links. Why? because the eM "signature" function restricts the number of characters you can have on your sig, and a long list of linked names won't fit in the sig, so it's more convenient to just list the names of the users instead of linking. this of course makes it a pain in the ass to locate the email addresses of their refs, but it can still be done -- you'd just have to use the eM Member Search to see the user's info. Of course, you could just ask for a person's ref's email addys, but I prefer to check a user's refs without letting the user know that i'm checking them. That could be just me tho -- keeps'em honest.

back | top

Q. Neither of us have refs. How can we trade?

A. You can trade by taking a risk that both of you are honest. Or, you can go the recommended way, and trade only with recognized traders for your first few trades until you yourself are recognized as a good trader too. If you really want to trade with someone who is not a recognized trader and you want the trade to be safe, you can also do a third-party trade.

back | top

Q. What's a third-party trade?

A. Third-party trades are used most often where neither trader has references, but both traders want to trade with each other. However, it can be used in any case where a trader is worried about getting ripped off.

A third-party trade is when both traders send their cards to a third-party, i.e. you both send your cards and a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to a trusted trader (e.g. someone w/ a lot of stars on the Good Trader list). The third-party then waits until both sends get to him/her, and sends the cards out to you and the other person with whom you are trading. Of course, this ends up costing you twice as much in postage but it's a dead safe way to trade.

How do you find a reliable third-party? Ask!

back | top

Q. That's it, right?

A. Pretty much -- sort of. One last thing you might want to check out before you start trading is the FAQ Etiquette section. It probably won't make you a better trader, but at least it will help to keep people from getting pissed off at you as you're trying to figure out your way around.

back | top

That seems to cover most of it -- by now, you should be able to look around the forun and get a pretty good idea of how it all works. I hope that this answers your questions sufficiently. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask someone in the forum. So Good luck trading, and trade safely!

2HG Champs 2006 | 2007

Grimmer

Question Trading Etiquette 4/22/2005 3:41:27 PM

The following is meant as a FAQ section for those who are wondering about the more common eM trading forum courtesies. If something was missed that you feel really needs to be in here, or if some silly/horrible mistake was made in this document, please let us know!

· Can I have lots of threads?

· Why are people telling me to delete my posts?

· I think that someone is a ripper/scammer. What should I do? Who should I tell?

Q. Can I have lots of threads, for example one thread for each color of cards in my collection?

A. Try to keep down to only one or two threads. If everyone starts running 6 threads, the forum will get crowded pretty fast and people will begin competing for thread "ups" (an up is when your thread is pushed to the top of the forum).

So far, we've managed to avoid any "ups" wars, and it would be really really nice if we could keep it that way! If you see someone running multiple threads, please feel free to gently discourage them from posting more than 2 or 3 threads at a time.

back | top

Q. Why do people keep telling me to delete my posts? It's no big deal, so why do they care?

A. It is considered a common courtesy to delete your old posts to someone's thread once a trade had been completed or had fallen through. This helps a user to keep his/her thread "uncrowded" and makes it easier for them to keep track of trades that they are involved in.

It's true that they can simply repost the thread, and most of us eventually do, but even this can become a problem if, for example, they've linked to their thread from another webpage and are worried that someone will be unable to find the new location (URL) of their trading thread.

back | top

Q. I think that someone is a ripper/scammer. What should I do? Who should I tell?

A. Most of the eM trading forum regulars try to keep a sharp eye out for cheaters. Also, we generally try to communicate with each other about bad traders.

If you think that someone is trying to run a scam, a good way to proceed is to start a thread asking about the user in question. You might also mention the issue to grimmer via the Bad Trader/Ripper Thread. I won't automatically bad-list the user, but I will post relevant information and/or suspicions if enough people have a complaint, or there is sufficient evidence to justify a specific posting about it.

back | top

I hope that this answers your questions sufficiently. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask either myself, or someone else in the forum. And above all, trade safely!

2HG Champs 2006 | 2007

Grimmer

Question International Trading 4/22/2005 3:42:20 PM

Q. How do you trade cards when two traders are from different geographic locations (e.g. one trader from Europe, and the other is in North America?)

A. Such a trade occurs very much as a regular trade where both traders are in the same country, except that in such a case, it is necessary that both traders are:

1. willing to wait longer to receive their cards
2. willing to pay higher postage rates for mail shipment.

Another concern is that many people from North America will refuse to send first -- or even to send at the same time -- to a trader outside of North America. This is not because people in North America do not trust people outside of the continent -- instead, the reason for this is that many people in North America do not trust the MAIL SERVICE outside of the North American continent.

Therefore, it is likely that traders inside North America will require that those outside send first.

For safety's sake, if you are one of those outside of North America and you are sending your cards first, my advice would be to trade only with someone whose name is on the eM trading forum's good traders list.

Only those users who have traded reliably before are on the list, and the list also tells you how many trades they have successfully completed. For more information on the way the list works, you should carefully read the information in the list thread, and consult with the moderator of the list, grimmer.

Also, in your thread, along with your "haves" and "wants" you should mention your location. That way, those who do not wish to trade outside of their region will know not to begin a trade negotiation with you. It is an unfortunate waste of time for you and others if you arrange for a trade, and then someone backs out of the trade at the last minute after discovering how far away you are.

Finally, be aware that most traders on the eM forum are in North America. To make sure that you do not waste YOUR time, I would advise that you check with your local postal service and find out approximately how much it will cost you to send a small packet of cards to a North American address. That way, it will be easier for you to decide whether or not some given trade is worthwhile. For instance, if it is fairly expensive for you to send cards out to North America, then you will most likely not want to do a trade in which you will only be getting a few common cards; instead, you would likely look only for trades where you will get rare and hard-to-find cards, or a large number of cards together in one trade.

I hope that this answers your questions sufficiently. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask someone in the forum. And above all, trade safely!

2HG Champs 2006 | 2007

Grimmer

Question Mail Fraud 4/22/2005 3:43:17 PM

1. What exactly is mail fraud?
The first important link is to the USPS postal inspectors website. More specifically, Title 18 of the USPS Postal Code regarding Mail Fraud, Swindles, and the use of a Fictitious name for mail delivery in cases of fraud.

In synopsis, mail fraud is a felony offense and for every individual instance of fraud the ripper “shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both”. Remember that each individual letter that is stolen and each instance of ripping that occurs is considered a separate prosecutable felony offense! Once convicted of a felony, the felon will have to disclose their felony offense on all job applications throughout their life. Felons are also automatically barred from certain sensitive government and civil jobs that involve classified information and employer trust. In short, a felony lasts a lifetime.

It is also important to note that the Postal Code specifically references those using a false name to obtain delivery. If someone misrepresents their identity for the purpose of obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, they will be found guilty of mail fraud.

2. How do I file for mail fraud?
If you are indeed the victim of mail fraud, you have a couple of different options, all of which are extremely easy to use and not time-consuming at all:
-You can call or visit your local post office to obtain help and to file the Mail Fraud Complaint Form.
-You can find a postal inspector near you who can help more with your problem.
-You can file your mail fraud complaint online.
-There is even a toll-free number that you can call to obtain help!
1-800-372-8347 Mail Fraud Hotline

Keep all evidence that you have regarding your complaint. Print out and include all unedited original emails, physical addresses, supposed names, lists of all items involved, names and contact information for any other people with similar problems, etc. All these things are vital to a successful prosecution and compensation for your loss. If you choose to file mail fraud using the online form, you will receive an automatic letter acknowledgement and your claim will then be processed. If you have all the information neatly organized and well presented, your claim will be processed faster. Similarly, if your loss is monetarily large or involves multiple parties, your claim will be prioritized accordingly.

For fraud cases within the US, I would contact the local police department of the ripper (or contact your local PD and request an “agency assist” to an investigator in the city where the ripper lives). They will take your complaint information and send a detective to physically interview the ripper (or his parents). Remember that the law is there to work for you.

2HG Champs 2006 | 2007

Grimmer

Question Trading Tips 4/22/2005 3:43:41 PM

ALWAYS get people to give you refs
Politely remind people that you have traded with to give you a Ref. Not doing this will haunt you later on.

Is it to good to be true?
Some people post things just to rip you. Just watch out for them, and always check here and here to make sure that they’re not actually a ripper.

Ask for condition
Always ask what condition the cards are in if they havent already told you. You dont want to buy a beat up Birds of Paradise Buy for $10 do you? We have a condition guide on eM, but many choose to use blackborder.com’s visual-based guide.

Never delete your e-mails until you have finished your trade. You will need proof to do anything about it if he/she decides to rip you.

Dont force...
Never force anyone to send first. That doesn’t mean for you to send first either. Make sure they have good feedback, and are not on the BTA. Most people will be nicer if you simul-send...but watch out if it comes to that.

Be Patient
Dont argue or flame anyone because their cards are a little late. Some times they get lost and sometimes the mail is just slow. Be patient.

Be protective
Use top-loaders and/or bubble wrap if at all possible. Nothing is worse then sending mint cards that are damaged when recieved. That would only lead to flaming and a big argument

Mail Fraud
Ripping someone off is Mail Fraud. It is illegal, and anyone that attempts it could be punished severely. Check out our Mail Fraud FAQ for more info.

Things rarely get lost in the mail
It just doesnt happen much anymore. If they use this excuse, go to your local post office and get them to do a trace. You will then know were it is..if they even sent it.

2HG Champs 2006 | 2007

6 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums. Furthermore, any transactions that result from threads posted in this forum are done at the risk of all parties involved. Essential Magic is not responsible for any loss, theft, or damages that result from agreements reached in this forum. In short, be careful!

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades