Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > General Discussion (Off-Topic) > Elfie's Rules

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Elfie

Quote: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

- Edmund Burke

Elfie's Rules 5/21/2010 10:14:39 PM

I thought it might be a good idea to spell out how I intend to moderate here.

{1} I use the social consensus when deciding what is offensive. Personally, I don't care what sort of horribly vulgar and racist words you guys like to use. I also personally don't care if you guys want to berate and belittle each other on a regular basis. I don't think words on the internet are that dangerous, but I'm not the only one on this site. If you are making comments that would be considered offensive among a random sampling of members of society, they will be considered offensive here.
{2} Funny trumps offensive. Humour is an important part of this site. If you respond in a way that is equally funny and offensive, I will not delete your post. If you post something that is offensive but people don't find funny, I will consider your intention to be funny to be a mitigating factor if I believe you were trying to be funny. Humour is subjective. I understand that. At the same time, someone needs to make calls about these things. I will try to be as understanding as I can.
{3} Valid criticism trumps offensive. Criticism is a vital part of making sure that new members here improve the quality of their posts and become productive members. The fact that someone's criticism of how you have acted offends you will not matter if the criticism is totally valid. The rule applies generally, but also particularly to grammar, spelling and radical ideas. If you do not understand the concept of subject and predicate, expect people to call you on it. If you cannot spell subject and predicate, expect people to call you on it. If you insist that subject and predicate are concepts created by the bourgeoisie to keep the working man down or that language would be so much more efficient if we did away away with subject and predicate and let the market decide, expect people to call you on it.
{4} Numbers {2} and {3} only apply most of the time. If you are incredibly offensive and only a little bit funny, the small amount of humour may not excuse the offensiveness. Similarly, if you are remarkably offensive in nitpicking a very minor point, the fact that you had a valid criticism may not excuse the offensiveness. Again, this is subjective, and I will try to be understanding, but do not expect to hide behind numbers {2} and {3} if you are clearly just being mean for the sake of being mean and adding a little bit of humour or valid criticism to keep yourself covered.
{5} There is no place here for people who just want to be mean. We have had mean members in the past who have been removed. Duckie, for instance, went from being a well respected member to a bitter and cruel member and, as a result, was no longer welcome on the site. If you are coming to the site just to be mean, we do not want you here. Please leave now.

Amendments:
{1} All instances of "offensive" should now read "offensive or inappropriate". Added to reduce confusion about how spam fit into these rules. The term "inappropriate" may apply to other breaches, like the creation of alternate accounts.

eMmies 2010: Best Mod
eMmies 2009: Nicest Member, Best Mod, Most Informative Member
eMmies 2008: Most Likely to be Assassinated for Political Reasons
eMmies 2006: Best Mod, Most Politically Active
eMmies 2005: Nicest Member, Most Politically Active
eMmies 2003: Best Newbie

smudge
Bug Hunter

Quote: [none]

RE: Elfie's Rules 5/21/2010 10:31:09 PM

Time is money Elfie, and my time is worth millions of dollars in socially irresponsible investments. Make that post like 8 sentences and I'll consider reading it.

Bug Hunter

Quote: [none]

RE: RE: Elfie's Rules 5/21/2010 11:05:12 PM

{1} Elfie says "STFU" you better listen trust me the ban hammer is a pain in the ass.
{2} stfu! there is no 2!

3 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades