Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > General Discussion (Off-Topic) > Just passing through... (1, 2, 3, 4)

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Strider

Quote: eM's resident holier-than-thou purveyor of righteous fury since 2002.

Happy Just passing through... 9/26/2013 1:57:14 AM

Hello friends, my name is Mike and I'd like to talk to you all about a wonderful group called the Jehovah's Witnesses...

Wait, scratch that. Sorry.

Well, I'd say almost 2.5 years of being away is enough to give me sufficient perspective on this website, don't you think? I was actually doing a search for something else and among my results was this website, which after a view minutes of nostalgic reviewing, inspired me to stop on in and say howdy. It's simultaneously heartening and depressing to see this place is still here but obviously in decline--that isn't meant to be a slight to the administrators or the folks still investing their time here, but the metaphorical cobwebs are now quite noticeable to me, a relative outsider. eM was a place where I whiled away a lot of my adolescence and (really) early adulthood, there are a lot of memories and horrifyingly cringe-worthy life crises that are thankfully archived and beyond my access.

So, none of you are asking, what have I been up to?

Flashback to June 22 2011, which, according to the site, was the day of my last post here. If memory serves, I was quite simply sick of dealing with all the fruitloops and nutjobs that spent their time tarnishing what I thought was "my" site. In retrospect I realize now that was a battle I was never going to win; I can assure you that the Strider of 2013 is a much more mellow and relaxed ray of sunshine. While the ball of white-hot incandescent rage is still there, it's been crusted over with a solid layer of of apathy/tolerance--if you do something dumb I'm more likely now to ride things out with a sardonic smile and the occasional cracking of the wise.

In terms of life events, I won't bore you all too much: things have more or less been on an upward trend, which is more than I can say for a lot of other people in my age bracket. All in all I'm pretty fortunate.

But here's a quick breakdown (man, I can't believe I was able to immediately recall how to do that).
--Got a decent job, worked there for almost 2 years
--First real relationship, followed by first real breakup
--Became an atheist (ironic, considering how apologetically Christian I was on here)
--Knee replacement surgery
--Left decent job, moved to New Orleans for grad school.

Other things have remained the same: still don't drink, still love soccer, and I still have deplorable taste in music by this site's standards (although in my defense, I think all of you have deplorable tastes yourselves).

That's about it, really. I won't be returning to this site, I have neither the time nor the interest in continuing to post on a fan site for a game I stopped playing literally more than a decade ago, but I figured I'd stop in to say hello, and for the .5 people that are interested, give you the goodbye that maybe you didn't get from me the first time around. At the time, when I was departing eM, I only sent a message to a couple of people I really thought I had genuinely established connections with; in retrospect that may have been a classy move but it also felt in some way unsatisfying. I didn't want to go out with some gigantic world-melting diatribe fest, which is how I was feeling at the time. Now that so much time has passed, and that I realize how minor a lot of those issues were, I can leave with a bit more substance.

(But one thing's still the same, right? I'm still annoyingly grandiloquent).

Anyway, I've procrastinated from my Epi homework long enough. I'll check in periodically for the next couple of days and then I'll be back on my way into the aether.

--Strider

Whatcha gonna do when the Hokemania runs wild on you?
My Tumblr account.

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

smudge
Bug Hunter

Quote: [none]

RE: Just passing through... 9/26/2013 10:19:27 PM

Hello Strider. Good to hear things are going well. Here's my update:

-I got a well-paying job after college.
-I got engaged.
-I fucked up at work which directly lead to the death of a co-worker. It still haunts me.
-I was charged with involuntary manslaughter which I took a plea bargain for.
-I spent a year in a low-security facility.
-My fiancee ended the engagement while I was in the slammer.
-In prison, I found Jesus Christ and went from atheism to Christianity.
-When I got out, no one would hire me so I found myself doing odd jobs for under-the-table money.
-I could barely pay the bills and crashed on a "friend's" couch most days.
-Said "friend" got me into some hardcore drugs of which I've been arrested for a couple of times. At some point, my family disowned me.
-Recently, I've spent a few months in and out of jail for drug-related charges.
-Trying to get my life back together but it's been a roller-coaster ride.

I long for the good ol' days when we were young and eM was our oyster.

SkankingAsianBadger

Quote: greenmaster086: I control Somalia from my bedroom
greenmaster086: It's easy. I have a big red button labelled 'STARVE F*CKERS STARVE'

RE: RE: Just passing through... 9/27/2013 3:41:46 AM

Jeebus hi.

84lemmings

RE: RE: RE: Just passing through... 9/27/2013 2:18:24 PM

hello again

Heretic

Quote: Take me for one last ride

I'm out of my head

RE: Just passing through... 9/29/2013 1:03:30 AM

Quoting Strider:
--Became an atheist (ironic, considering how apologetically Christian I was on here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVl_sjUrNQE

Sextape////||||\\\\You've Seen The Butcher

Rocket Skates (Director's Cut)////||||\\\\Diamond Eyes

Strider

Quote: eM's resident holier-than-thou purveyor of righteous fury since 2002.

Happy Random Comment 9/29/2013 2:22:20 AM

Hi smudge, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't believe a word of what you wrote (it's not like lying on the internet is a new thing) but your theoretical situation is pretty sad.

Greetings Badger, I saw you've finally completed your program--congratulations. In my previous job I worked with your people often (dentists, you racist).

Hi Heretic, hope you're doing well. I like this one better though.

This place is really, really, dead. I'm not vain enough to have expected a hero's welcome, but man--4 posts in a week is pretty dreary. I think I'll stop by once more in a couple of days before I head off into the sunset for good.

Whatcha gonna do when the Hokemania runs wild on you?
My Tumblr account.

SkankingAsianBadger

Quote: greenmaster086: I control Somalia from my bedroom
greenmaster086: It's easy. I have a big red button labelled 'STARVE F*CKERS STARVE'

RE: Random Comment 9/29/2013 3:35:51 AM

Quoting Strider:

Greetings Badger, I saw you've finally completed your program--congratulations. In my previous job I worked with your people often (dentists, you racist).

Good to hear from you. Yes, this place is dead. Also unfortunately I am not a dentist but rather an MD (psychiatrist, to be specific =P ).

Sean2K

Quote: Kydjibomalistic!

RE: Just passing through... 9/29/2013 12:09:04 PM

Quoting Strider:--Became an atheist (ironic, considering how apologetically Christian I was on here)

That is ironic! o_0

I'm a spiritual, but not religious btw. :P

smudge
Bug Hunter

RE: RE: Just passing through... 9/30/2013 11:07:59 PM

Even after all these years, you still know me too well Strider <3.

But seriously, I got a nice engineering job after college, started my masters in Engineering Management while working, but at the same time felt unfulfilled in life. So I quit the engineering field and after trying out a bunch of stuff, got into teaching.

I'm now a SPED teacher (working with autistic kids) and I LOVE it. The pay is less than what I used to make, but I'm much happier.

vilbe

Quote: IV/XX The Offical eM Herbal Beneficary Sir Vilbe Lord of [dish soap] Sustainer of the Keg Garden http://www.thedamagedone.org

RE: RE: RE: Just passing through... 10/1/2013 5:57:04 AM

note to self, call strider next time in new orleans.....

but hey welcome back to the nostalgia. [i only came back for proving a friend a magic database is there, it wasn't a hard google]

J-n-L
Bug Hunter

Quote: "To talent and illusion; to Rosie, to all we love"
-Water For Elephants

"I pretty much just listen in order to know when I can jump in with my own stuff to say"
-BonAFidE

RE: Just passing through... 10/3/2013 8:37:52 PM

dude stop leaving for such long amounts of time. Let's stay in touch in a PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP CALLED eM, dammnit. Seriously.

eMmies:
Biggest Troll '06, '08, '09, '10
Funniest Member '10
Best taste '06
Most likely to be banned by next eMmies '08 '10
Most likely to hijack an airplane '08 '09
Quote of the year '08
Best sig '09
Best thread derailer '09 '10
Best Thread Creator '09
Most likely to bribe Elfie for extra votes '09 '10
Most shocking posts '09

greenmaster
Bug Hunter

Quote: "Yet held it more humane, more heav'nly first
By winning words to conquer willing hearts,
And make persuasion do the work of fear;"
-Milton, Paradise Regained

RE: RE: Just passing through... 10/3/2013 8:53:30 PM

Jesus hates you and your face.

@all of you.

-
-
scrutinising the steel

evileskimocal
ModeratorGuruBug Hunter

Quote: "When Marge isn't happy, I'm not happy. And when I'm not happy, Moe's very happy. But for once, this isn't about Moe."

"That's it, mister- I am disgruntled. And up until now, I was relatively gruntled."

"Lisa, Vampires are make-believe, like elves, gremlins, and eskimos."

Guru RE: RE: RE: Just passing through... 10/3/2013 9:36:07 PM

Apparently I haven't even been gone for a year and a half. It feels like it's been so much longer than that...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Magic Rules Advisor
AIM: clanlsg
2010 eMmies: Nicest Member
2009 eMmies: Most Likely to be Mod
2008 eMmies: Nicest Member, Best Sig, Funniest Member, Most Likely to be Mod
<(-'.'-)> Q(-'.'-Q) <(-'.'-<) (>-'.'-)> O==(-.-Q) t(-'.'-t)

BOBOtheHOBO

Quote: Get Me At My Email
-Email:Mr2theLarry@yahoo.com

Random Comment 10/4/2013 2:12:58 AM

haha I came back thinking nobody from back in the day would be here and there is like 5 of y'all in this thread.......The funny thing is y'all have THE EXACT SAME SIGS from back in the day lol

EXACT!!!!!
--------------------------------
Email me or go to my thread

MY EBAY LINK

Æther Tech

Quote: Are you sure you wan't to pump up your Thornling after I've declared my Abyssal Persecutor as a blocker?

RE: Random Comment 10/4/2013 11:49:22 AM

We are all lazy. The amount of work it takes to change your sig on this site as aborrhent.
-------------------------------------
I need a new signature

54 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades