Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Deck Help > Casual Dragon's advice

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Staran

Quote: [none]

Casual Dragon's advice 3/15/2014 3:20:38 PM

ive got a dragon deck that's mostly a hobby building it, although i use it for casual play sometimes. finally got around to updating it with some of the newer cards. i usually play multi player, so it's generally ok if it's slightly slowed down by my land's coming in tapped. mostly looking for some advice to improve/refine the spells section of my deck. i like it in general, where ive got a few ways to kill creatures, steal them from play or from graveyards. cards in the sideboard are just others that may or may not work for me. i added duress to help with enchantments, since black/red cant deal with them. not sure if that's my best option though.

cards im currently debating how/if they fit are Duress Buy, Blightning Buy, Rise from the Grave Buy, Sneak Attack Buy, Cauldron Dance Buy

also debating if 20 lands is enough, if half my plan is to play from graveyards. may bump it up to 24 after i play it a few times to try it out.

any thoughts/advice is much appreciated.

Creatures
4 Balefire Dragon Buy
2 Bladewing the Risen Buy
4 Kilnmouth Dragon Buy
4 Moonveil Dragon Buy
2 Scourge of Kher Ridges Buy
4 Thundermaw Hellkite Buy

Spells
2 Dangerous Wager Buy
1 Demonic Tutor Buy
2 Duress Buy
2 Essence Harvest Buy
2 Gruesome Encore Buy
1 Hatred Buy
2 Mark of Mutiny Buy
1 Patriarch's Bidding Buy
2 Rise from the Grave Buy
2 Terminate Buy
2 Torrent of Souls Buy

Lands
4 Akoum Refuge Buy
4 Dragonskull Summit Buy
4 Rakdos Guildgate Buy
4 Tresserhorn Sinks Buy
4 Urborg Volcano Buy

Planeswalkers
1 Liliana Vess Buy

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

BruteConquest
Bug Hunter

Quote: "Knowledge is Power. Wisdom is Superpower."

"Everything in the Multiverse can be explained by either Physics or Magic."

RE: Casual Dragon's advice 3/17/2014 5:39:07 AM

Quoting Staran:ive got a dragon deck that's mostly a hobby building it, although i use it for casual play sometimes. finally got around to updating it with some of the newer cards. i usually play multi player, so it's generally ok if it's slightly slowed down by my land's coming in tapped.

Dragons are among the most amazing creatures in Magic: the Gathering, along with Angels and Demons. I also like using Dragons in my deck, because they feel to overwhelm the opponent with their might and firepower. I actually built a Dragon Deck back when Scars of Mirrodin and Innistrad were in Standard. I have several suggestions for your Dragon deck, especially in improving its synergy and strategy.

Quoting Staran:mostly looking for some advice to improve/refine the spells section of my deck. i like it in general, where ive got a few ways to kill creatures, steal them from play or from graveyards. cards in the sideboard are just others that may or may not work for me. i added duress to help with enchantments, since black/red cant deal with them. not sure if that's my best option though.

In general, when you are building a deck centered on large creatures, you MUST include about eight pieces of "mass destruction" spells to deal with small creatures. Remember that most Dragons can only be summoned after turn five, thus you need spells to prevent early attackers from beating you down quickly. Terminate Buy is a great card to kill creatures, but it can only deal with one creature. It is best that you include spells like Pyroclasm Buy, Slagstorm Buy, Sulfurous Blast Buy, Chain Reaction Buy, Infest Buy, Drown in Sorrow Buy, or Mutilate Buy. These spells ensure that your Dragon's won't arrive late enough to save you from early attackers.

Quoting Staran:cards im currently debating how/if they fit are Duress Buy, Blightning Buy, Rise from the Grave Buy, Sneak Attack Buy, Cauldron Dance Buy

Try to stick all cards in our deck to one theme, which is Dragon beatdown. Adding discard spells like Blightning Buy and Duress Buy could weaken your strategy. Although these cards are perfect as sideboard pieces, they are not in synergy with the rest of your deck. You may include up to eight reanimation spells like Zombify Buy, Rise from the Grave Buy, Torrent of Souls Buy or others to reanimate your Dragon creatures. Bladewing the Risen Buy is both a Dragon and a reanimator, so use four copies of it. However, this reanimation strategy means that you also need discard outlets to ditch your Dragons. Liliana of the Veil Buy can be a good self-discarder, thus I suggest you include four copies of her into your deck. Other cards in your deck, namely Demonic Tutor Buy, Essence Harvest Buy, Hatred Buy, Mark of Mutiny Buy, and Patriarch's Bidding Buy (this card also benefits your enemy), should be removed. Only when all your cards in the deck function towards the same goal that your deck becomes solid and strong.

Quoting Staran:also debating if 20 lands is enough, if half my plan is to play from graveyards. may bump it up to 24 after i play it a few times to try it out.

I suggest that you use 24 lands, since 20 lands are too few in case you need to cast your Dragon creatures or reanimation spells. Having 24 lands makes certain that you have around three lands by third turn to wipe out fast enemy creatures. In case you drew too many lands in your opening hand, you can just discard them through Liliana of the Veil Buy or Wild Guess Buy, therefore making them likewise useful. Also use dual lands that can potentially enter the battlefield untapped like Blood Crypt Buy, Dragonskull Summit Buy and Blackcleave Cliffs Buy. Graven Cairns Buy and Molten Slagheap Buy are also fine, but limit your "tapped lands" to only eight cards. Having too many of them makes you always one turn delayed in casting.

I hope these insights helped. Good Luck to you! Have a nice day.

Staran

RE: RE: Casual Dragon's advice 3/17/2014 7:47:38 PM

That's alot of great advice and suggestions, I definately have a bit of work to do. The deck started pretty focused, and slowly worked its way away from that, sometimes i try to make a deck able to handle too many scenarios instead of just sticking to the plan.

What are your thoughts on cards such as
Faithless Looting Buy to speed up getting the cards i need in my hand and graveyard (i like the plainswalker cards, but cant afford the ones i want at the moment.
Skullmead Cauldron Buy, Delirium Skeins Buy or something similar to allow me to discard
Footsteps of the Goryo Buy maybe good used on Bladewing the Risen
Walking Atlas BuyEvolving Wilds Buy to speed up my land drops/thin out my deck a little.

i do like the thought of using Patriarch's Bidding Buy to get multiple dragons out at once, would it be worth having 1 copy in the deck if i also included Bojuka Bog Buy or something similar?

the only other thing that i really wonder about, is should i bother with any artifact removal's, or just aim to win before it matters?

here's a link to my always in the works dragon deck. thanks for your help

also i forgot to mention, if i go the route of Patriarch's Bidding Buy, i assume i should remove Bladewing the Risen Buy, maybe add 2 Exhume Buy instead to try and get Scourge of Kher Ridges Buyinto play early for the creature control

BruteConquest
Bug Hunter

Quote: "Knowledge is Power. Wisdom is Superpower."

"Everything in the Multiverse can be explained by either Physics or Magic."

RE: RE: RE: Casual Dragon's advice 3/18/2014 12:21:55 AM

Quoting Staran:What are your thoughts on cards such as Faithless Looting Buy to speed up getting the cards i need in my hand and graveyard (i like the plainswalker cards, but cant afford the ones i want at the moment. Skullmead Cauldron Buy, Delirium Skeins Buy or something similar to allow me to discard

Any permanent that lets you discard a card and protects your camp during the early game is a great option. As I mentioned, Liliana of the Veil Buy is a good example: she lets you discard your Dragons for reanimation, and she disrupts your opponents' potential threats at hand. Delirium Skeins Buy is fine, but it immediately throws away three cards. If you only have one dragon card in hand, then Delirium Skeins Buy might hurt you when you cast it. You will be forced to discard "useful cards" like lands or reanimation spells. Try using Pack Rat Buy, which summons rat creatures for early defense, and at the same time prepared your Dragon cards in your graveyard. Skirk Ridge Exhumer Buy is another good example. Spell discarders like Faithless Looting Buy and Wild Guess Buy are okay too, but avoid using random discarders like Burning Inquiry Buy or Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded Buy.

Quoting Staran:Footsteps of the Goryo Buy maybe good used on Bladewing the Risen; Walking Atlas BuyEvolving Wilds Buy to speed up my land drops/thin out my deck a little.

Try using only reanimation spells that puts your Dragon creatures onto the battlefield permanently, instead of only temporarily. Footsteps of the Goryo Buy is cheap, but using it is dangerous especially if your opponent has bunches of creatures attacking you. In fact, you only need around eight reanimation spells in your deck, so select such best spells out there. Also include four copied of Bladewing the Risen Buy, since it is a "two-for-one" Dragon card. In fact, it is the most important Dragon you can include in your deck because it connects the Dragon theme with the reanimation theme as one, thus making your entire deck work solidly and strongly.

Regarding land-fetchers, try using only those that directly grabs land cards from your library, such as Bloodstained Mire Buy, Terramorphic Expanse Buy and Evolving Wilds Buy. Using Walking Atlas Buy (or cards like Skyshroud Ranger Buy) may weaken your early game defenses, thus it might not be efficient. Focus your deck components on defensive affairs, and let your land cards fetch other land cards.

Quoting Staran:i do like the thought of using Patriarch's Bidding Buy to get multiple dragons out at once, would it be worth having 1 copy in the deck if i also included Bojuka Bog Buy or something similar?

also i forgot to mention, if i go the route of Patriarch's Bidding Buy, i assume i should remove Bladewing the Risen Buy, maybe add 2 Exhume Buy instead to try and get Scourge of Kher Ridges Buyinto play early for the creature control

Using Patriarch's Bidding Buy is fine, as long as your enemy doesn't have tribal creatures in his/her deck. In my opinion, you don't have to discard all your Dragons and wait for Patriarch's Bidding Buy to reanimate them all at once. The fact that one Dragon is already a big threat in itself, you just need to reanimate one or two of them, then beat your enemy down. I still prefer Bladewing the Risen Buy over Patriarch's Bidding Buy, because using it quickly turns the table and sends my enemy seeking for answers against Bladewing the Risen Buy AND the fellow Dragon it reanimated with it. Therefore I don't suggest that you remove Bladewing the Risen Buy, but instead use four copies of it, and maybe only two copies of Patriarch's Bidding Buy.

Quoting Staran:the only other thing that i really wonder about, is should i bother with any artifact removal's, or just aim to win before it matters?

here's a link to my always in the works dragon deck. thanks for your help

Just aim for 20 damage before anything can stop you. Remember that Dragon creatures are expensive to summon, but once they hit the board, they are as aggressive as fire. So don't bother answering your opponent's threats, just pose you own and blast your way through victory.

You're welcome! Good luck to you and your Dragon Deck.

Staran

RE: RE: RE: RE: Casual Dragon's advice 3/25/2014 3:23:50 PM

Ive been messing around with lots of random cards this past week, and think i like the looks of focusing on quickly cycling through the deck, to get a couple or a bunch of dragons out fast. What is your opinion on the current deck?

Ive added 4 copies each of Buried Alive Buy and Faithless Looting Buy, to speed up getting dragons in the graveyard, and spells into my hand. I went with 4 copies of Exhume Buy, because if i move fast enough, my opponent wont have much/anything in their graveyard.

I left in Demonic Tutor Buy, dont think any deck can go wrong it.. 2 mana to get any card into your hand..

At the moment, ive got room for 2 more cards. Debating between Dark Ritual Buy for added speed, Dash Hopes Buy because counterspells are always useful, or Pyroclasm Buy to keep the little guys out. Pyro wont help speed things up at all, but i suppose will help me if i get a bad draw and things dont go as fast as i like.

I took Liliana Vess Buy out fornow, partially because she's a bit slow, and also because none of my friends i play with use planeswalkers. (most of them stopped playing after Alliances came out, so use mostly old cards).

dragon deck

thanks again for help/advice

5 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades