Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > General Discussion (Off-Topic) > Essential Magic under new ownership (1, 2)

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
ricomyer
ModeratorStaff MemberArtice Submitter

Quote: Wherever you go, there you are.

eM Essential Magic under new ownership 6/20/2014 11:02:35 PM

Hello everybody,

I am Reed, I have owned Essential Magic for the past several years with my partner Scott. I have recently sold the website to fellow Essential Magic user Jerry Harrison. We have thoroughly enjoyed owning this site, and will miss it. We haven't had enough time to give it the attention it deserves lately, but I am confident that Jerry will. He is a fellow programmer, and in the little interaction I've had with him, I've been very impressed with his skills. I believe I leave the site in good hands. I hope that everybody will continue to support the site, use the site, buy cards here or from our advertisers, and tell others about it.

Good luck and God Bless

Reed

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

scottcos
ModeratorStaff Member

Quote: Am I ignorant or just apathetic? I don't know and I don't care.

RE: Essential Magic under new ownership 6/20/2014 11:27:27 PM

It is with very mixed emotions that I reply to this, I have loved the time I spent working with Reed on this site, it has been a fantastic 9 years, and I cherish the relationship that I have developed. Unfortunately two years ago I changed jobs, and have been unable to put in the time that this site and it's members deserve. I am very happy that the site is being taken over by someone who shares our passion for the game.

So while I am giving up the role I held, I will continue to help wherever I can, and to be a member of the community.

Scott

jerry

Quote: [none]

Happy Random Comment 6/20/2014 11:37:05 PM

I only hope I can fill the shoes you have left. Thank you for giving me the opportunity and I am excited for what the future holds.

ValorsDream

Quote: ZombieSwordfish
-You can't force total chaos, nublet.
Me
-I'm half way there.
bonZai
-*Screeches*

Me
-How is this for a rhetorical question?
Badger of Aisa!
-Damn good.

Super callused, extra fragile mystic hexed with halitosis.

RE: Random Comment 7/30/2014 11:14:01 PM

I know this may be a shock to Essential Magic Users, given the length of time it is has been free, but would you mind testing the idea of a membership fee? A small $2 to $5 dollars per person, this could provide the opportunity to have one of the owners work on improving Essential Magic on a full-time basis.

It would also provide an advertising budget to increase membership.

Here is one example: http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

______________________________________________Sig below this line_____________________
Need tips for unique legacy deck

jerry

RE: RE: Random Comment 7/31/2014 7:34:47 PM

I have plans on toying with a membership side of the site. Keeping all of the current features free and adding pro features as the time comes. Sets and all cards will always be available to everyone.

Please do keep in mind that I plan on running this full steam ahead. This is going to be a full-time company and we're actively working on the 6th version of the site. If you're interested on becoming a beta/alpha tester of the new site all input is greatly welcomed at support@essentialmagic.com

Raider
Bug Hunter

Quote: Get that weak stuff outta here

RE: RE: RE: Random Comment 7/31/2014 8:33:50 PM

For the cheapskate members currently on the site; if you're going to make a paid membership, let me ask for a tiered system. By that I mean a free membership with slightly more access than casual visitors, but more limited than paid subscribers. That is all
my decks need attention

ValorsDream

Quote: ZombieSwordfish
-You can't force total chaos, nublet.
Me
-I'm half way there.
bonZai
-*Screeches*

Me
-How is this for a rhetorical question?
Badger of Aisa!
-Damn good.

Super callused, extra fragile mystic hexed with halitosis.

RE: RE: RE: Random Comment 7/31/2014 8:51:57 PM

Quoting jerry:I have plans on toying with a membership side of the site. Keeping all of the current features free and adding pro features as the time comes. Sets and all cards will always be available to everyone.

Please do keep in mind that I plan on running this full steam ahead. This is going to be a full-time company and we're actively working on the 6th version of the site. If you're interested on becoming a beta/alpha tester of the new site all input is greatly welcomed at support@essentialmagic.com

I am definitely interested in being an alpha and beta tester. As long my account information, deck lists, and collection list is safe from being erased.
______________________________________________Sig below this line_____________________
Need tips for unique legacy deck

brucejpetrie

Quote:

RE: RE: RE: RE: Random Comment 9/17/2014 3:18:49 AM

I would welcome an app I could use on my phone that would record my trades etc. and update it with my eM database. Pulling values out would be good too but eM has listed my dual lands as $5 for years so I'm not sure if that's a good route or not.

Hexyl

Quote: Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

New Owner 12/4/2014 4:39:11 PM

Would it be possible to have an update from the new owner Jerry, advising what is happening with the site, where it is heading, when we can expect it to go back to life?

Thanks a lot!

PS: I just noticed that Jerry has not visited EM since 3 weeks ago, I hope everything is ok with him! Maybe he's really busy working on the new version....

FaulkFan420

RE: New Owner 12/5/2014 2:43:21 AM

This is awesome! It's sad that you guys are leaving but I am glad that someone who has time to take care of the site is here! Don't neglect the trading forums! In fact the whole trading and ref system could use an overhaul.

------------------------------------------------------
Check my Trading Thread:

Faulk's Trading Post

jerry

eM RE: New Owner 12/6/2014 1:37:49 AM

Hola, I poke around via various accounts. So I may not appear actively logged in but for every once in a while.

As for the site we're steadily working on the new version, and maintaining the current site as-is only pushing new core/expansion sets.

We'll be posting a solid timeline of milestones for the upcoming releases.

-- Jerry

Exar Kun

RE: RE: New Owner 3/17/2015 5:42:41 PM

So this makes sense as to why the site seemed off for me for so long. I recently got back into playing magic on a frequent basis and thought to come back to my old stomping ground to get a footnote. I hope things are coming along well with the updates Jerry and I can't wait to see them.

I also like the idea of a ONE TIME/Yearly fee for a beefed up account with slightly more exclusive access that others have mentioned.

I think you have a great opportunity to do something great here because I have noticed that many of the other "deck building" MTG websites are somewhat lacking in friendly user interface and forum content. But you REALLY need to get on some advertising stretch to get some more traffic. You're one of the best kept secrets of the game, but you can't remain a secret forever.

Here's to a good future!
========================================================
My Trade Thread

miwsiv

RE: RE: RE: New Owner 3/24/2015 10:14:36 AM

Hi there,

I use EM to enter all my decks and test them online.
I havent come across a better site doing that, tbh.
I wouldnt mind paying a small fee, as I think its only fair for the time I spend using and enjoying this site.
So go ahead.

Cheers from the Netherlands,

Wim

Ps. Any news when DoT is available in the database?

jerry

eM RE: RE: RE: RE: New Owner 3/24/2015 1:48:19 PM

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone.

We're investigating what a yearly "subscription" would look like. We are going to put a survey very soon on the homepage, which will let us determine this and other things, for instance what features should we roll out first, what add-on features should we consider, etc. We are looking at middle of Q2 2015 to open the alpha release to a select group of users, then Q4 for beta release to everyone.

I'd be open to hearing what amount would be suitable for our users -- keeping in mind our need for active development of the site and costs for servers, humans (developers and content writers/editors), and third-party services. Also we want to open-source some portions of the site but most internal things will need to be kept internal for security reasons so the cost of development is a must.

Note: We don't plan on excluding any of our current features, the site as-is (feature-wise) will remain unless otherwise mentioned; paying a subscription would only open up additional features or simply support the development of the site. While we "love" ads for the minimal revenue it brings us, some months it's barely enough to keep the servers running so help from the community is greatly appreciated.

DTK is going to be loaded in this weekend when everyone is playing in the release ;)

Raider
Bug Hunter

Quote: Get that weak stuff outta here

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: New Owner 4/1/2015 1:31:10 PM

I'm gonna be "that guy" again, and point out that the weekend has come and gone without the new set being added. Is there a new ETA for the update? Some communication with the community would be nice.
my decks need attention

21 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades