Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Deck Help > Newbie Needs Help With Her First Deck

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
LiveAndLetFlyy

Quote: [none]

Newbie Needs Help With Her First Deck 8/7/2014 5:41:52 PM

My deck: http://www.essentialmagic.com/Decks/View.asp?ID=1017905 (Yes I'm aware it only has 57 cards, we built it late last night and apparently we done goofed.)

I only just started playing seriously, and I'm looking for help improving my first deck. It was thrown together from what we had around, so it isn't very good yet. I'd like to end up with a good amount of flying creatures and enchantments. I will gladly accept any criticism and suggestions. Thanks!

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Deepthunder

Quote: [ÐÈÐÓ]

RE: Newbie Needs Help With Her First Deck 8/8/2014 4:04:39 AM

I'm not going to be over critical considering you said you were new. From what I see you just have a bunch of stuff thrown together. My best advice is to create a theme. Blue and Green are not common together but not impossible. What I like to do is see what I have available and go from there. From what I see I can make the following suggestions:

At first I thought you were trying out some type of defender deck. I tried one a long time ago with Rolling Stones Buy. It did not do so well. Then again at the time there wasn't much out there for a lot of fun.

You mentioned flying creatures. Green is notoriously bad for NOT having flyers. If you want flyers, I suggest blue and white. If you splash white (and remove green) into the deck you could also add Rolling Stones and go for a defender / flying deck. Stones is cheap. Blue / White are classic control decks.

If you plan to stick with green and blue then in my opinion focus on the strength of those colors. Blue is known for counter spells and control and green mostly for big stompy creatures with mana accel. I've never built or seen a counter spell / stompy deck before, but it would be an interesting concept. Green is also good with life gain, as is white. You could go that route.

In closing, (sorry I tend to ramble) I would pick a theme and build around it. Once you find that theme then I can make a lot of suggestions.

simondiamond2012
Artice Submitter

RE: Newbie Needs Help With Her First Deck 8/13/2014 8:21:27 AM

Creatures
1 Acidic Slime
4 Axebane Guardian
1 Hover Barrier
1 Oak Street Innkeeper
1 Primal Clay
3 Runewing
1 Shambleshark
1 Slaughterhorn
2 Slitherhead
1 Species Gorger
1 Stealer of Secrets
1 Towering Indrik

Spells
1 Aerial Predation
1 Cackling Counterpart
2 Cancel
1 Dirty
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Inspiration
1 Negate
2 Pit Fight
1 Scatter Arc
1 Talrand's Invocation
2 Wildwood Rebirth

Enchantments
1 Krasis Incubation
1 Tricks of the Trade
1 Way of the Thief

Artifacts
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Mask of Avacyn
1 Simic Cluestone

Lands
8 Forest
8 Island
3 Simic Guildgate

===============================================================================

I like what I see so far... I can see, with some changes, an Evolve Mechanic Deck
that uses cheap creatures, and +1/+1 counters.

The first question I have is: Are you willing to put more $$$ into the deck by getting other cards?

The second question I have is: Are all of the cards you're working with out of the Return to Ravnica block?

The second question being a bit more important than the first because RTR, GTC, and DGM all have access to
some pretty decent cheap Simic creatures and mana ramp spells (spells that let you go find land cards in your deck).

RTR = Return To Ravnica
GTC = Gatecrash
DGM = Dragon's Maze

There's a few things I'd like to point out:
1. Your land count should be as close to 40% of your deck as possible. Add 1 forest, add one island, and add one simic guildgate, if possible.

2. Be careful about having only one of something in your deck as there is a high likelihood that you won't be able to consistently rely on that card.
There are multiple "one-of's", so keep this in mind when building your deck.

3. Your enchantments, considering the fact that they are only "one of" in your deck, will most likely harm your card draw. Consider removing these 3 enchantments and put more Simic Cluestones or Simic Keyrunes in order to help with the mana ramp.

4. Mana + Card Draw = Options. So far, I only see one draw spell, which is Inspiration. That's not exactly a good thing. I would highly suggest putting at least one more Inspiration. Other card draw spells include: Think Twice, Ponder, Preordain, Divination, etc.

5. http://www.magiccards.info <--- This website will help you tremendously. When you first enter the site, you'll see some links at the top of the page; one of those links says "Advanced". Click on that link and the site will take you to an Advanced Search feature where you'll be able to put in specific requests that you want the cards to say (whether you want the card to find a basic land card, or if you want to draw cards, and so on). You'll see a field called "Rules Text", where you can enter this information; further down the screen, you'll be able to click on certain colors of mana in order for you to be able to find specific cards in that color range that will allow you to do whatever the rules text says.

Write back if you have any more questions. =P

Gnasderf

RE: Newbie Needs Help With Her First Deck 9/14/2014 11:42:39 PM

Well, I'm not one of the greatest, but here's what I think about it:

It seems a bit slow to me as you have many cards in the 3-4 range while there isn't much in the 1-2 range. Also, you've got some nonbasic lands that come in play tapped, which makes it even a bit slower.
Usually, if you play 2 colors and you've got the right balance in lands in your deck, you don't need to play nonbasic lands that come into play tapped and therefore can be a bit of a burden. Also, same for Simic Cluestone Buy

Also, try having at least 25 lands in your deck, else chances to draw them will go down, which can be especially annoying when you don't have many spells to use.

To make it lighter, I'd turn in Inspiraion for a few Brainstorm Buy. I might also want to change Cancel Buy and Dissipate Buy with Dissipate Buy or Faerie Trickery Buy.

Just some tipps.

Pshel

Random Comment 8/19/2015 12:49:03 PM

My green answer to flying is Hurricane Buy or such like also does direct damage and green gets life so easily espesially (sorry can't spell0 if a blue intruder alarm is around.

5 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades