Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Deck Help > First control style commander deck Azorius

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
rammo_73

Quote: [none]

First control style commander deck Azorius 11/14/2014 5:12:45 PM

I have never played control even once. I normally like synergy based agro decks so this has been a huge challenge for me. Here's the deck: http://essentialmagic.com/Decks/View.asp?ID=1023810 The big plan is to stall the game to a halt with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite Buy, Godhead of Awe Buy, Dovescape Buy and using Azor's Elocutors Buy, Felidar Sovereign Buy, or Darksteel Reactor Buy to win. Think it'll work? Good advice will be greatly appreciated!

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

simondiamond2012
Artice Submitter

Quote: [none]

Idea RE: First control style commander deck Azorius 11/14/2014 6:44:17 PM

Quoting rammo_73:I have never played control even once. I normally like synergy based aggro decks so this has been a huge challenge for me. Here's the deck: http://essentialmagic.com/Decks/View.asp?ID=1023810 The big plan is to stall the game to a halt with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite Buy, Godhead of Awe Buy, Dovescape Buy and using Azor's Elocutors Buy, Felidar Sovereign Buy, or Darksteel Reactor Buy to win. Think it'll work? Good advice will be greatly appreciated!

32 lands, 4 to 5 sources of draw, and 2 mana rocks?

The short answer? You're not likely going to win on a consistent basis.

There are issues with your mana production as well as your card draw. Beyond that we are looking at two of your 3 actual win-cons
(Azor's Elocutors and Darksteel Reactor) that center around counters of some sort.

The simple equation in EDH is this: mana + card draw = options. And since you're playing control, you're in it for the long haul.

So, for your case specifically, since you're playing two colors, here's what I recommend:

36 to 37 lands, 7 to 10 mana rocks (depending on your mana curve), and 5 to 10 sources of card draw. About half of your deck should
be in one way or the other, devoted to this simple equation. It will make your life a whole lot simpler.

As for your win-cons, see what you can do around the Proliferate mechanic, and/or passively adding counters to your two win-cons that
require counters of some sort. This will greatly aid you in your strategy.

Start there, and come back when you're finished. If you click on my username, you should find a number of decks on there that are commander.
That should give you a starting place, and should help you become formulaic in your approach to deckbuilding.

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

2 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades