Site Maintenance Warning
We are currently wrapping up the loading process for new sets please do not edit/add to collections or decks. ETA 7/23-26

Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Rules Questions > How many times

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Pshel

Quote: [none]

How many times 10/8/2016 10:47:36 PM

How Many times can you pump Phyrexian Devourer Buy or other such cards or once its limit (power 7) has been reached, the effect (bury) happens.?

Thanks

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Mallys
Guru

RE: How many times 10/9/2016 3:47:29 AM

Quoting Pshel:How Many times can you pump Phyrexian Devourer Buy or other such cards or once its limit (power 7) has been reached, the effect (bury) happens.?

You may activate its ability as many times as you can pay the cost.

Note that once its power is 7 or greater, its first ability will trigger. Only when that ability resolves will Phyrexian Devourer Buy be sacrificed ("bury" as a term has been retired). Additionally, it won't trigger again until it leaves the stack (either because it resolves or is countered).

That is to say, if you want to get the biggest effect from its power (or number of +1/+1 counters on it) with some effect like Fling Buy or the like, then you would activate its second ability and allow it to resolve until its power is 7 or greater to trigger its first ability. You can then respond to the triggered ability and use its second ability how many times you wish and/or are able to. After that respond, however you like.

You could, alternatively, exile cards for its second ability arbitrarily. However, once enough instances resolve to sufficiently increase its power, its first ability would trigger, rendering all earlier unresolved instances of its activated ability largely useless (unless you just wanted to exile more cards from your library and weren't overly concerned with its power).
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

Pshel

FiLo 10/9/2016 10:36:47 AM

If you keep adding fast effects to the stack can't you get a greater strength since the second effect triggers first?

Mallys
Guru

RE: FiLo 10/11/2016 2:32:45 AM

Quoting Pshel:If you keep adding fast effects to the stack can't you get a greater strength since the second effect triggers first?

First, note that the second ability doesn't "trigger" at all, and that "fast effect" is no longer a game term. That said...

Yes. As I mentioned, how much you can increase (and use) its power is dependent on when you allow the triggered ability to trigger (the second is an activated ability).

If you exile a few cards and increase its power to 7 or greater (allowing its first ability to trigger), you can then exile however many cards you want in response for however high a power you want it to have (allowing each to resolve as you go or not). Insert your favorite use for such a high power before the sacrifice trigger resolves and go to town.

Alternatively, if you started by just exiling your library (card by card, of course) and not letting the first ability trigger, then it would trigger after the first few cards increased its power, and the Devourer would then be sacrificed before all the other exiled cards offered their contribution to its power.
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

4 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades