Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Rules Questions > Having brimaz, King of orezkos equipped to sword of fire and ice, opponent plays turn to frog what h

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
forsher43

Quote: [none]

Question Having brimaz, King of orezkos equipped to sword of fire and ice, opponent plays turn to frog what h 12/17/2016 4:52:34 PM

If I have brimaz, King of orezkos equipped to Sword of Fire and Ice Buy, and on my turn, my opponent plays Turn to Frog Buy making all my creatures 1/1 frogs with no abilities until end of turn, does my 1/1 equipped to the sword get +2/+2 and protection from red and blue still?

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Mallys
Guru

Quote: [none]

Having brimaz, King of orezkos equipped to sword of fire and ice, opponent plays turn to frog what h 12/18/2016 4:26:01 AM

Quoting forsher43:If I have Brimaz, King of Oreskos Buy equipped to Sword of Fire and Ice Buy, and on my turn, my opponent plays Turn to Frog Buy making all my creatures 1/1 frogs with no abilities until end of turn, does my 1/1 equipped to the sword get +2/+2 and protection from red and blue still?

It's worth noting that without some other effect, Turn to Frog Buy will only affect a single target creature. Assuming Brimaz is that target, the results are mixed, and they involve looking through the most wonderful section of the comprehensive rules - interaction of continuous effects.

In short, it's a mixed bag of what sticks around and what doesn't. The end result is that Brimaz will be 3/3 blue Frog with no abilities, but if it deals combat damage to a player, the second ability of Sword of Fire and Ice Buy will trigger.

For some details, consider the different layers of effects:

Quoting CompRules:613.1. The values of an object’s characteristics are determined by starting with the actual object. For a card, that means the values of the characteristics printed on that card. For a token or a copy of a spell or card, that means the values of the characteristics defined by the effect that created it. Then all applicable continuous effects are applied in a series of layers in the following order:
613.1a Layer 1: Copy effects are applied. See rule 706, “Copying Objects.”
613.1b Layer 2: Control-changing effects are applied.
613.1c Layer 3: Text-changing effects are applied. See rule 612, “Text-Changing Effects.”
613.1d Layer 4: Type-changing effects are applied. These include effects that change an object’s card type, subtype, and/or supertype.
613.1e Layer 5: Color-changing effects are applied.
613.1f Layer 6: Ability-adding effects, ability-removing effects, and effects that say an object can’t have an ability are applied.
613.1g Layer 7: Power- and/or toughness-changing effects are applied.

Obviously, everything relevant falls into layers 4 through 7. The type- and color-changing effects in layers 4 and 5 are pretty straightforward and simply overwrite the default values.

In layer 6, because there's no dependency, we simply apply the effects in timestamp order: Brimaz gains protection from red and blue from the Sword, but those abilities and the ones it already has are removed by Turn to Frog Buy. (It's worth noting that after Turn to Frog Buy resolves, you could equip the Sword to a different creature and then re-equip it to Brimaz to give it protection from red and blue. The equipment must change what it's attached to for that to work, though.)

Layer 7 gives us sublayers to sort out power and toughness:

Quoting CompRules:613.3. Within layer 7, apply effects in a series of sublayers in the order described below. Within each sublayer, apply effects in timestamp order. (See rule 613.6.) Note that dependency may alter the order in which effects are applied within a sublayer. (See rule 613.7.)
613.3a Layer 7a: Effects from characteristic-defining abilities that define power and/or toughness are applied. See rule 604.3.
613.3b Layer 7b: Effects that set power and/or toughness to a specific number or value are applied. Effects that refer to the base power and/or toughness of a creature apply in this layer.
613.3c Layer 7c: Effects that modify power and/or toughness (but don’t set power and/or toughness to a specific number or value) are applied.
613.3d Layer 7d: Power and/or toughness changes from counters are applied. See rule 121, “Counters.”
613.3e Layer 7e: Effects that switch a creature’s power and toughness are applied. Such effects take the value of power and apply it to the creature’s toughness, and take the value of toughness and apply it to the creature’s power

Relevant sublayers are 7b and 7c. We have two effects to apply from the Sword and Turn to Frog Buy. In 7b, Turn to Frog Buy sets Brimaz's power and toughness to 1/1, and then in 7c, we apply the +2/+2 from the Sword to end up with a 3/3 creature.
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

2 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades