Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Rules Questions > Metalwork Colossus

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
MagestoneMagus

Quote: LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!

Metalwork Colossus 2/11/2017 5:21:34 AM

Can I sacrifice my Metalwork Colossus Buy to it's own ability, putting it in my grave so it will return itself? Gatherer seems to say I can't but the ability itself hints that I can.
I would like to use it with Scrap Trawler Buy in a "Combo"
----------------------------------------
LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Stjan
Bug Hunter

Quote: [none]

RE: Metalwork Colossus 2/11/2017 3:26:45 PM

Quoting MagestoneMagus:Can I sacrifice my Metalwork Colossus Buy to it's own ability, putting it in my grave so it will return itself? Gatherer seems to say I can't but the ability itself hints that I can.
I would like to use it with Scrap Trawler Buy in a "Combo"

No. You can activate Metalwork Colossus Buy`s activated ability only if it is in (your) graveyard and you can sacrifice only something, what is on battlefild (in play) (permanent) and you control.

Edit: It works if you have two Colosi, one in graveyard and one in play.

Mallys
Guru

Random Comment 2/11/2017 5:18:33 PM

Just to add on, Gatherer says so either because the rules say so or because we can derive so from the rules. Fortunately, there is a specific rule for this situation:

Quoting CompRules:112.6k An ability whose cost or effect specifies that it moves the object it’s on out of a particular zone functions only in that zone, unless that ability’s trigger condition, or a previous part of that ability’s cost or effect, specifies that the object is put into that zone. The same is true if the effect of that ability creates a delayed triggered ability whose effect moves the object out of a particular zone.

Example: Reassembling Skeleton says “{1}{B}: Return Reassembling Skeleton from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.” A player may activate this ability only if Reassembling Skeleton is in his or her graveyard.

--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

MagestoneMagus

Random Comment 2/11/2017 11:08:11 PM

Thanks for the info.
It's really awesome to have the rules reference. Much thanks
LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!

Deepthunder

Quote: [ÐÈÐÓ]

RE: RE: Metalwork Colossus 2/15/2017 6:11:14 AM

How would Scrap Trawler Buy bring back Metalwork Colossus Buy regardless of having one in play and graveyard?

Per the text of the Trawler it states target artifact card in your graveyard with lesser converted mana cost, not lesser or equal to.

Am I missing something?

Stjan
Bug Hunter

RE: RE: RE: Metalwork Colossus 2/15/2017 5:31:34 PM

Quoting Deepthunder:How would Scrap Trawler Buy bring back Metalwork Colossus Buy regardless of having one in play and graveyard?

Per the text of the Trawler it states target artifact card in your graveyard with lesser converted mana cost, not lesser or equal to.

Am I missing something?

Yes. You may be asking wrong question. Metalwork Colossus Buy has its own "return fom graveyard" ability, having Scrap Trawler Buy and enough of artifacts with different costs could be very helpful when paying the cost of that ability.

Deepthunder

Quote: [ÐÈÐÓ]

RE: RE: RE: RE: Metalwork Colossus 2/15/2017 9:01:25 PM

Yea, probably a lot more cards needed to make it useful. I understand the other ability of the colossus, but the interaction doesn't seem to be too efficient.
Happy

MagestoneMagus

RE: Trawler Colossus 3/24/2017 9:12:11 PM

It's not really a combo. Hardly even an interaction.
With a Scrap Trawler Buy and Metalwork Colossus Buy #1 on the battlefield and a Metalwork Colossus Buy #2 in the grave, I sac Ornithopter Buy and Colossus#1 to return Colossus#2 to my hand. The sac of Colossus#1 will trigger the Trawler so I can return the thopter.
Given the proper board state I could then cast both for free and have a potential engine.
LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!

8 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades