Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Rules Questions > elementary questions

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Agent of Stromgald

Quote: "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

elementary questions 4/14/2017 11:52:49 PM

1.If i Path to Exile Buy a Grave Titan Buy in response to it coming into play, will it still be able to make 2 2/2 Zombie tokens? If the answer is no, will a Geth's Verdict Buy have the same effect?

2.Also, if I destroy an opponent's Tidehollow Sculler Buy or Thought-Knot Seer Buy in response to them coming into play, will it prevent them from looking at my hand and taking a card?

3. Scenario: I cast Traverse the Ulvenwald Buy and my opponent casts an Aven Mindcensor Buy in repsonse, would there be any instance where can I Alchemist's Refuge Buy a Thoughtseize Buy to remove the said Aven Mindcensor Buy ?

Thanks!

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Mallys
Guru

Quote: [none]

RE: elementary questions 4/15/2017 4:38:13 AM

Quoting Agent of Stromgald:1.If i Path to Exile Buy a Grave Titan Buy in response to it coming into play, will it still be able to make 2 2/2 Zombie tokens? If the answer is no, will a Geth's Verdict Buy have the same effect?

In either case, it will still create the zombie tokens. Grave Titan Buy must be on the battlefield to be a legal target for either of the aforementioned spells. By the time you get priority to cast either one, its ability will have triggered and gone on the stack. Since there isn't an intervening-if clause checking for the Grave Titan Buy to still be on the battlefield, about the only way to stop the zombie tokens from being created is to counter the triggered ability or the Grave Titan Buy.

Quote:2.Also, if I destroy an opponent's Tidehollow Sculler Buy or Thought-Knot Seer Buy in response to them coming into play, will it prevent them from looking at my hand and taking a card?

No. In fact, it's better (outside of some possible ridiculous scenarios) in both cases to let the ETB ability resolve before dealing with them, as you'll still get both abilities, just in the reverse order. As in the previous situation, it doesn't matter that the permanent is no longer around - once the ability triggers, it goes on the stack until it resolves or is countered.

Quote:3. Scenario: I cast Traverse the Ulvenwald Buy and my opponent casts an Aven Mindcensor Buy in repsonse, would there be any instance where can I Alchemist's Refuge Buy a Thoughtseize Buy to remove the said Aven Mindcensor Buy ?

Nope. By the time you cast Thoughtsieze in this situation, the Aven Mindcensor Buy is no longer in your opponent's hand to choose.

It's worth noting (as it's a common theme in your questions) what "responding" is in Magic. To "respond" is simply to add something to a non-empty stack (casting a spell or activating an ability). You can't simply interject and do things before every discrete action or event. You must have priority.
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

2 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades