Site Maintenance Warning
We are currently wrapping up the loading process for new sets please do not edit/add to collections or decks. ETA Midnight 7/12

Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Rules Questions > elementary questions pt.2

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Agent of Stromgald

Quote: "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

elementary questions pt.2 12/5/2017 1:13:13 PM

I've stopped playing for a while and am trying to start over with a Modern U/B Deck. The 2 cards that I am planning to use are Insidious Will Buy and Consuming Vapors Buy hence the following questions:

1.) My opponent has 2 Gurmag Angler Buy in play, I cast Consuming Vapors Buy and he sacrifices the first Gurmag Angler Buy. At the beginning of my next upkeep, he flashes in a Snapcaster Mage Buy as he intends to sac it to the rebound effect of the Consuming Vapors Buy to save his Gurmag Angler Buy . Can i Fatal Push Buy the Snapcaster Mage Buy before the Consuming Vapors Buy takes effect so that he would still need to sac the 2nd Gurmag Angler Buy?

2.) My opponent casts Collective Brutality Buy and chooses the first mode. I try to disrupt him with Insidious Will Buy. Will the second mode of Insidious Will Buy make him have to discard and instant or sorcery card? If so, who will choose the card, me or him?

Thank you.

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Mallys
Guru

Quote: [none]

RE: elementary questions pt.2 12/5/2017 4:53:07 PM

Quoting Agent of Stromgald:I've stopped playing for a while and am trying to start over with a Modern U/B Deck. The 2 cards that I am planning to use are Insidious Will Buy and Consuming Vapors Buy hence the following questions:

1.) My opponent has 2 Gurmag Angler Buy in play, I cast Consuming Vapors Buy and he sacrifices the first Gurmag Angler Buy. At the beginning of my next upkeep, he flashes in a Snapcaster Mage Buy as he intends to sac it to the rebound effect of the Consuming Vapors Buy to save his Gurmag Angler Buy . Can i Fatal Push Buy the Snapcaster Mage Buy before the Consuming Vapors Buy takes effect so that he would still need to sac the 2nd Gurmag Angler Buy?

Yes. Before any spell or ability on the stack resolves, each player gains priority and the opportunity to cast spells and activate abilities. So after Snapcaster Mage Buy enters the battlefield (and its ability resolves), you'll have the chance to cast Fatal Push Buy before Consuming Vapors Buy resolves.

Quote:2.) My opponent casts Collective Brutality Buy and chooses the first mode. I try to disrupt him with Insidious Will Buy. Will the second mode of Insidious Will Buy make him have to discard and instant or sorcery card? If so, who will choose the card, me or him?

The second mode for Insidious Will Buy is not going to prove as effective here, especially given that it's a two-player game. When you change the targets of a spell, you must choose a new legal target. Unfortunately, the first mode for Collective Brutality Buy needs a "target opponent," and your opponent is not an opponent of himself, so changing that target to him is not a legal choice.
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

Agent of Stromgald

Quote: "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

RE: RE: elementary questions pt.2 12/7/2017 11:55:01 AM

Thank you for answering my questions.

Now for one rare scenario:

My opponent casts Cruel Ultimatum Buy and as it is on the stack, I Countersquall Buy it, since he has no open mana to respond, I immediately cast Insidious Will Buy and choose the third mode to copy his Cruel Ultimatum Buy. The result is, he gets hit with a Cruel Ultimatum Buyand I am "safe" since the copy resolves first then the Cruel Ultimatum Buy he cast is countered by my Countersquall Buy. Is this scenario accurate?

Apologies for sneaking this in as well...

Also, if I create a copy of let's say Wurmcoil Engine Buy with Rite of Replication Buy and I exile the copy with Endless Sands Buy , can I return it to play using the second ability of Endless Sands Buy since it goes to the exile zone just the same as when tokens are removed from the battlefield?

Mallys
Guru

Quote: [none]

RE: RE: RE: elementary questions pt.2 12/7/2017 6:41:18 PM

Quoting Agent of Stromgald:Now for one rare scenario:

My opponent casts Cruel Ultimatum Buy and as it is on the stack, I Countersquall Buy it, since he has no open mana to respond, I immediately cast Insidious Will Buy and choose the third mode to copy his Cruel Ultimatum Buy. The result is, he gets hit with a Cruel Ultimatum Buyand I am "safe" since the copy resolves first then the Cruel Ultimatum Buy he cast is countered by my Countersquall Buy. Is this scenario accurate?

Yes; as long as Insidious Will Buy resolves before Countersquall Buy, you'll be set. (You could cast the Will, let it resolve, and then counter the original Ultimatum before or after your copy resolves.)

Quote:Apologies for sneaking this in as well...

Also, if I create a copy of let's say Wurmcoil Engine Buy with Rite of Replication Buy and I exile the copy with Endless Sands Buy , can I return it to play using the second ability of Endless Sands Buy since it goes to the exile zone just the same as when tokens are removed from the battlefield?

No. Note that tokens aren't exiled when they go somewhere that isn't the battlefield. They simply cease to exist as a state-based action. They'll still trigger any appropriate zone-change triggered abilities, but they won't stick around anywhere after that. So when you use Endless Sands Buy to exile the token copy of Wurmcoil Engine Buy, once the ability resolves, state-based actions will be checked, and the token will suddenly not be there.
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

4 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades