Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Rules Questions > Draw a card

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Pshel

Quote: [none]

Draw a card 2/11/2018 6:05:51 AM

The The Locust God Buy has an effect when you draw a card.

Does this include things like Scry when you look at a card then replace it in the deck?

Thanks

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Stjan
Bug Hunter

RE: Draw a card 2/11/2018 5:14:21 PM

Quoting Pshel:The The Locust God Buy has an effect when you draw a card.

Does this include things like Scry when you look at a card then replace it in the deck?

Thanks

No. That triggered ability would trigger only if you draw a card.

701.16. Scry

701.16a To Scry N means to look at the top N cards of your library, put any number of them on the bottom of your library in any order and the rest on top of your library in any order.

701.16b If a player is instructed to scry 0, no scry event occurs. Abilities that trigger whenever a player scries won`t trigger.

Pshel

Random Comment 2/12/2018 11:46:02 AM

So draw means placing a card into your hand as well as just looking at it.

Mallys
Guru

RE: Random Comment 2/12/2018 11:06:29 PM

Quoting Pshel:So draw means placing a card into your hand as well as just looking at it.

No. To "draw a card" is to take the top card of your library and put it into your hand. In any case where you draw cards (relevant for triggered abilities and replacement effects looking for someone to do so), the effect will explicitly use the word "draw." While other effects may have the same result of putting cards from the top of your library into your hand, they are not drawing without use of the word.

Quoting CompRules:120.5. If an effect moves cards from a player’s library to that player’s hand without using the word “draw,” the player has not drawn those cards. This makes a difference for abilities that trigger on drawing cards and effects that replace card draws, as well as if the player’s library is empty.

--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

4 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades