Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Rules Questions > Combo with phasing

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Hellhades

Quote: [none]

Question Combo with phasing 5/17/2018 12:00:33 PM

I recently posted a combo using merieke and vodalian illusionist. I thought correctly read all of the rules about phasing carefully. I must have missed something.
As stated ruling 702.25d states that when a permanent phases, it does not change controllers.
My idea for the combo was to phase out a creature controlled by merieke. Untap merieke. And as rule 702.25e states, cards statuses like “for as long as” might not apply while a crrature is phased out.
So as the creature is phased out. Untapping merieke should “destroy” the creature. But since that creature is phased out. The ability does not resolved, therefore fizzles. And as rule 702.25d states, that creature should phase back in still under my control. At which point the creature should not die because merieke untapped while the creature was phased out.

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Mallys
Guru

RE: Combo with phasing 5/18/2018 2:10:53 AM

I marked the combo, but upon reflection, I'm inclined to revisit it. There's some potentially ambiguous wording in 702.25e about conditional-duration effects tracking permanents and such effects losing track and ending when permanents phase out.

I'm leaning back towards that the combo is probably okay (based on 702.25d as you said), but I have reached out to Wizards' support, and hopefully I should hear back pretty soon and can un-invalidate it if necessary.
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

Mallys
Guru

RE: RE: Combo with phasing 5/19/2018 5:08:37 AM

A brief reply from support indicates that the creature indeed remains yours, and in addition, it's even freed from the condition of you retaining control of Merieke. While it's not as complete an answer as I was hoping for, we'll go with it until I find something better. (Mostly for my own assurances, as I'm sure it's still a valid interaction.)
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

Hellhades

Happy RE: RE: RE: Combo with phasing 5/20/2018 6:00:41 AM

Thank you so much for re visiting my combo. i have been really looking into this combo for a long time but was not totally sure if i was a for sure thing. After you had denied it i went back to re read all of the ruling carefully. I posted on the forum as a second chance because of the confusing wording of all of the sub rules and how they all tied in together.
I have tried in the past to contact wizards with no luck for any response and that was what made me decide to give posting it on here a try.

Love this website and all that this team does to help me better understand the complex game that is magic the gathering :-)

4 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades