Essential Magic > Forums Homepage > Rules Questions > What happens first?

! You are not logged in, so you will not be able to post to this thread or reply to any posts. We suggest that you Log In before proceeding.
Posted By Post Title Date Posted
Pshel

Quote: [none]

What happens first? 9/6/2017 2:02:54 PM

I had a morph creature out Lumithread Field Buy then played a Sigil Captain Buy then unmorphed the field. When a 1/1 creature comes into play which happens first? If the field does the captain not happen?

Thanks

Reply to this post     Quote this post        

Mallys
Guru

RE: What happens first? 9/6/2017 5:19:14 PM

Your Sigil Captain Buy is not going to be happy with this arrangement.

A 1/1 creature as printed will be 1/2 as long as it's on the battlefield in this situation. Lumithread Field Buy has a static ability that generates a continuous effect that always applies to relevant objects - that is, it doesn't enter the battlefield and then change; there is no time that the formerly 1/1 creature is on the battlefield and not getting +0/+1 (603.6b, 611.3c).

As such, Sigil Captain Buy's ability won't even trigger due to the "intervening if" clause that checks the "if condition" when the ability would trigger and just before it resolves. So it sees a 1/2 creature that just entered the battlefield and goes on about its business, waiting for a real 1/1 to show up.
--------------------
Comprehensive Rules --- Gatherer --- Tournament Rules

Pshel

Random Comment 9/10/2017 4:48:40 AM

What happens though if there was no "if" on the Captain and they were both "comes into play"?

Stjan
Bug Hunter

RE: Random Comment 9/10/2017 9:11:13 AM

If ...

You are asked to write down, how the changed cards would look like (and you will be forgiven posting broken cards Cool).

Pshel

Random Comment 9/10/2017 2:49:49 PM

The "if" removed would be something like "When a 1/1 creature enters play put 2 counters on it"

Can I choose the order of two effects that are supposed to happen at the same time?

Stjan
Bug Hunter

RE: Random Comment 9/11/2017 7:38:56 PM

Quoting Pshel:The "if" removed would be something like "When a 1/1 creature enters play put 2 counters on it"

Can I choose the order of two effects that are supposed to happen at the same time?

Ahm... this discussion might better belong to Card Idea than Rules Questions forum. So:

2.: If both effects come as triggered abilities and you control both of them, you may choose order in which they are put on stack (the last resolves first).

1.: About something like "..." ... Try to make your wording exact, approximate wording tends to have worse than approximate Rules Answers.

"When a 1/1 creature enters battlefield under your control, put two +1/+1 counters on it." or old style "When a 1/1 creature comes in play under your control, put two +1/+1 counters on it." is (more or less) an original Capitan`s ability; it would see an entering (coming) creature defined to be 1/1 as 1/2 due to +0/+1 static ability.

One way to change Lumithread Field Buy static ability in triggered would be use of +0/+1 counters. So instead of "Creatures you control get +0/+1." maybe:

"When ~this~ enters battlefield or is turned face up, put a +0/+1 counter on each creature you control."
"When a creature enters battlefield under your control, put a +0/+1 counter on it."
"When ~this~ leaves battlefield or is turned face down, remove a +0/+1 counter from each creature you control."

It would work, but static ability is much less wordy.
Edit: Wizards may have a policy of using a +1/+1 and -1/-1 as only kind of P/T changing counters.
Edit2: Changed wording of Capitan`s triggered ability would (probably) make it not check the creature size just before it resolves.

6 matching items were found.    Currently Viewing

The comments and opinions expressed here are those of Essential Magic users and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Essential Magic itself. Essential Magic cannot be held liable for physical or emotional damage or losses caused by any of the comments expressed in these open forums.

Join Free!
Login
LogOff

User Search
Clans
Advertising
Contact Us
My Homepage
My Profile
My Combos
My Decks
My Trades